The Story of Jumping Mouse by John Steptoe

The Story of Jumping Mouse (edition 1989)

by John Steptoe (Author), John Steptoe (Illustrator)

The gifts of Magic Frog and his own hopeful and unselfish spirit bring Jumping Mouse finally to the Far-Off Land where no mouse goes hungry.
Member:bccmlibrary
Title:The Story of Jumping Mouse
Authors:John Steptoe (Author)
Other authors:John Steptoe (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1989), Edition: 1st Mulberry Ed, 40 pages
Collections:ELEMENTARY

Work Information

The Story of Jumping Mouse by John Steptoe

398.2
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
Reading Level: Primary[return]Genre: Traditional Literature[return]Summary: The Native American tale about Jumping Mouse and how he uses his gifts from the Magic Frog and his unselfishness to get to the Far Off Land that he dreams of. [return]Evaluation: This is an interesting Native American legend about compassion that will get students interested in the Native American culture. It was exciting and heartwarming. The theme of this book shows that unselfishness can get you a long way, a great lesson for students. Putting others before yourself can end up helping you in the long run, and persevering and working hard will lead you to your dreams. The illustrations in this book are black and white, but they are still very beautiful and bring the book to life. This is a beautiful story that has been passed down for many years in the Native American culture.
  kristi_test_01 | Sep 12, 2019 |
I think John Steptoe does justice to this retelling of a Native American legend. He does acknowledge it's not his story. I would like to have a page in the back that provides sources and resources to further research the story. The pencil illustrations are detailed and wonderfully, cleverly from the perspective of a mouse. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jul 28, 2019 |
"You will reach the far-off land if you keep hope alive within you." The words of Magic Frog give courage to the young mouse on his long and perilous journey to reach the wonderful land of legend. He faces many obstacles on his quest and sacrifices much to help others in need. But the mouse's compassion and faith in himself prove to be a source of great power...and bring him rewards even beyond his dreams.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 16, 2018 |
Very beautiful and detailed black and white illustrations, and an inspiring retelling by the author.

The thing that concerns me about this book, and keeps me from enjoying it fully, is that no tribe was directly credited with the origin of the story, and I have no way of knowing what exactly the author changed in this retelling. I really would've liked to see an elder or respected storyteller of the tribe get behind this project. I'm also concerned about whether or not this story was meant to be written down and shared- among some tribes, certain stories are meant to stay only within the oral tradition and aren't allowed to be written down.

There are a lot of cultural concerns I have about this book, in general, but it does have a sweet moral and meaning. ( )
  R.Billiot-Bruleigh | Mar 5, 2018 |
The book cover states that this is a retelling of an American Indian legend, but no sources are cited. Mouse is generous to those in need by giving up his sight, hearing and sense of smell. In the end these are restored to him and he is turned into an eagle. Beautiful black-and-white drawings.

Once there was a young mouse who lived in the brush near a great river.
Magic Frog laughed. "That's not a name. I'll give you a name that will help you on your journey. I name you Jumping Mouse."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,166,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible