Liars: A Novel by Sarah Manguso

Liars: A Novel (edition 2024)

by Sarah Manguso (Author)

2111,073,554 (4)None
"A nuclear family can destroy a woman artist. I'd always known that. But I'd never suspected how easily I'd fall into one anyway. When Jane, an aspiring writer, meets filmmaker John Bridges, they both want the same things: to be in love, to live a successful creative life, and to be happy. When they marry, Jane believes she has found everything she was looking for, including--a few years later--all the attendant joy and labor of motherhood. But it's not long until Jane finds herself subsumed by John's ambitions, whims, and ego; in short, she becomes a wife. As Jane's career flourishes, their marriage starts to falter. Throughout five house moves, two failed businesses, and a steady draining of the family finances, Jane tries to hold it all together. That is until John leaves her."--… (more)
Member:ocassim
Title:Liars: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Manguso (Author)
Info:Hogarth (2024), 272 pages

Work Information

Liars by Sarah Manguso

fiction (1) to-read (1)

Manguso’s slim volume of precise prose reads like autofiction as she dispassionately describes the end of her fifteen-year marriage to John who’s cheating. “When you’re a liar, you always know something that other people don’t know. Maybe lying to me made John feel extra smart.”
But no one gets off the hook as the narrator admits: “I remember how desperately I had to cling to the story of my happy marriage. It took effort. It felt so good to stop lying,” hence the title. Her reactions are visceral and compounded by the questions her young son asks.
I welcome another Manguso.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC. ( )
  featherbooks | May 7, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,295,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible