La femme du Ve by Douglas Kennedy

La femme du Ve (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Douglas Kennedy (Author), Bernard Cohen (Translator)

Member:JMK2020
Title:La femme du Ve
Authors:Douglas Kennedy (Author)
Other authors:Bernard Cohen (Translator)
Info:Paris - Belfond - DL : 05/2007 - Impr. : Bussière, Groupe CPI, 06/2007
Rating:*****
Tags:Littérature, USA

The Woman in the Fifth by Douglas Kennedy (2007)

English (15)  Dutch (2)  All (17)
Starts out subtle and becomes immensely creepy as it goes on.
  alyslinn | May 25, 2013 |
This started of as a good book and then drifted off into complete drivel. Very disappointing ( )
  chive | Apr 15, 2013 |
It started off good. I got interested. I was pulled in. I wanted to know what happened next. I thought I knew where it was headed and sort of, I was right. But the twist in the book just didn't do it for me. I felt it was a bit of a cop out.

Harry's life falls apart. He was a college professor but had a fling with a student because his wife had been pushing him away. The student ended up committing suicide, he lost his job and his wife who then took up with his college boss, someone she'd been sleeping with for some time. He flees to Paris and has a very bumpy start. He finds a dump to live in and gets pulled into an illegal under the table job. He begins to write the long awaited novel. He exists. Then he meets a woman at a party and his life takes a bit of a turn. Maybe not for the better, as he soon finds out. His enemies seem to be vanquished one by one. The woman knows more about him than he tells her. He comes under suspicion for two murders. How is he going to get out of it? It seems an impossible situation.

How things turn out and how his life eventually does turn around for the better is part of the twist and I was disappointed in the bleak ending. The book is definitely well written as far as style and storyline goes. It just didn't suit me in the end. Your mileage may vary. In fact I think a lot of people would like it. It's definitely different! ( )
  tvordj | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book was quite strange really but I did enjoy it. I guessed half way through the book who was committing the crimes but found the reasoning quite incredible and a little disappointing. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Dec 25, 2012 |
i love douglas kennedy's writing. his characters just jump right off the page! this book ended weird. it really threw me off, however kennedy's writing made it worthwhile in the end. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Aug 13, 2010 |

Douglas Kennedyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Everything she had told the Superintendent was true, but sometimes nothing is less true than the truth.'
            Georges Simenon, La Fuite de Monsieur Monde
For Frank Kelcz
That was the year my life fell apart, and that was the year I moved to Paris.

Quatrième de couverture:

Il y a encore quelques mois, Harry Ricks était professeur dans une université américaine et menait une vie tranquille avec sa femme et sa fille.
Aujourd’hui, il survit tout juste dans une chambre de bonne crasseuse à Paris, au fin fond du Xe arrondissement, et n’a plus aucun contact avec sa famille. Alors qu’il croit toucher le fond, la passion fait irruption dans sa vie : elle s’appelle Margit, elle est hongroise et sensuelle. Et très énigmatique : Harry ne devra pas lui poser de questions sur son travail, son passé, sa vie, et ne pourra la voir que deux fois par semaine, à dix-sept heures, dans son appartement du Ve. Comme envoûté, Harry accepte. Mais bientôt se produisent autour de lui d’étranges coïncidences…

Douglas Kennedy’s new novel demonstrates once again his talent for writing serious popular fiction. The Pursuit of Happiness and A Special Relationship were both Sunday Times bestsellers in paperback.

When Harry Ricks arrives in Paris on a bleak January morning he is a broken man. He is running away from a failed marriage and a dark scandal that ruined his career as a film lecturer in a small American university. With no money and nowhere to live, Harry swiftly falls in with the city’s underclass, barely scraping a living while trying to finish the book he’d always dreamed of writing.

A chance meeting with a mysterious woman, Margit Kadar, with whom Harry falls in love, is his only hope of a brighter future. However, Margit isn’t all she seems to be and Harry increasingly feels that a dark force is at work in his life — as punishment begins to be meted out to anyone who has recently done him wrong. Before he knows it, he finds himself of increasing interest to the police, and waking up in a nightmare from which there is no easy escape.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

When Harry Ricks arrives in Paris on a bleak January morning he is a broken man. He is running away from a failed marriage and a dark scandal that ruined his career as a film lecturer at a small American university. With no money and nowhere to live, Harry swiftly falls in with the city's underclass, barely scraping a living.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,473,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible