Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher (Author)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)
Member:zorak_1996
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (704)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (721)
Thirteen Reasons Why: I expected more

While it is true it was emotionally difficult to get through some passages of this Jay Asher novel, I hoped for an emergent differentiation in the decade old morality tale. What I got was the same old story I have read before with a thin veneer of gimmicky innovation and some straight talk on personal responsibility.

I have read a number of teen scare books over the years teaching lessons each time about drugs, cutting, the occult, etc. All of them follow the same formula. Whether Suicide, overdose, murder, demonic influence (and more), they all end the same, with untimely death.

Normally, these books/journals/etc also pat the reader on the back as a person who ‘will know better now’ and avoid the traps of the core topic. 13 Rrasons went so far as to include a person who did nothing wrong and would take the pat in the back for me. Instead of interacting with the object of evidence directly, we had a proxy to absorb some of the shock and repetitiously give commentary that undermined the storyteller.

The election to use tapes instead of paper is never explained from a character perspective. She just seems to randomly attach to the idea and make her listeners squirm in a technology they are unfamiliar with and do not have ready access to.

The result of formulic writing rarely/never changes. This is a great book, but besides gimmick, it is more of the same. Changing the flavor of CocaCola just results in failure and Coke Classic.. So why should I have expected them to change Coke? Just consume it and don’t put much thought into it.
  Toast.x2 | Sep 23, 2021 |
3.5 stars ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
4 STARS
I found it pretty compelling. In the beginning Hannah’s thirst for vengeance is strangely satisfying. She is angry and bitter and she doesn't give a fuck. But then, why should she? She’s dead, after all.
But then, the more the story progresses, the more that bitterness turns into helplessness. And it’s not revenge anymore, it’s a cry for help, delivered too late. I think the message in this book is important. You don’t know how your action affects the others. ( )
  mariu911 | Sep 6, 2021 |
The main character is Hannah in this book, and we can know she has not been in the world from beginning. Hannah recorded 7 of tapes before suicide, which describe, and sent to each main character in the content in order.

At first, I thought 7 tapes would have a clear connection with Hannah's death, but it’s not completely like this. Some of the people didn't notice they hurt Hannah, and maybe this made Hannah fall to pieces. And it made me notice, maybe we sometimes have accidentally hurt someone.

In my opinion, Hannah suicide which is not the good choice, she thought it was the best choice for her then, but we can't say that she just too weak to face the problem. What if the similar situation happens someday? I think this book can make people think over and over, the situation that we can't get help need to be solved, maybe somewhere in different characters still have something that worth to change!

I won't say that I like the book, but maybe it's writing technique and the detailed words that made me feel I was under the same circumstance, and the vivid description made me as if I had had the same feeling of theirs. However, the content that long and heavy also let me chose whether keep reading or stop. ( )
  20209peiyun | Aug 30, 2021 |
Q: How did you decide on Hannah’s thirteen reasons?
A: I first quizzed my wife and my female writing partners about what high school was like for them. We spoke about experiences that, at the time, they didn’t think they’d ever get over – as well as some they never have gotten over. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,555,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible