Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why (edition 2011)

by Jay Asher (Author)

When high school student Clay Jenkins receives a box in the mail containing thirteen cassette tapes recorded by his classmate Hannah, who committed suicide, he spends a bewildering and heartbreaking night crisscrossing their town, listening to Hannah's voice recounting the events leading up to her death.… (more)
Member:mrschacon
Title:Thirteen Reasons Why
Authors:Jay Asher (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: 1st, 288 pages

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

English (700)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (717)
What's to say about this book? I went into a bit of a funk after reading it, and am concerned that it was the penultimate novel in my YA class--way to end on a downer.

This book, however, is a prime example of the irony of voice in YA lit. Probably my only complaint is that the insight that Hannah yields seems more likely from someone with distance, perspective.

Remarked in class today that a YA book hasn't affected me emotionally like this since I read Bridge to Terebithia when I was ten. A good one, but challenging. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
I downloaded the audio version of this book this morning, partly because I need practice downloading e-audio books so I can show customers how to at my library, partly because I had heard it was very good and had recently listened to and enjoyed another book by the same author, and partly because I had the day off, so why not? Pretty much from the first chapter, I was transfixed. I listened to it while I put away clean laundry, did dishes, went for a walk, ran errands in the car, cooked, and a variety of other things. But a few times, I just sat, and listened, and wept. Listening to this book seemed to fit well with the premise, of a girl (Hannah Baker) who has committed suicide and left behind tapes for the people involved in her "Thirteen Reasons Why" to listen to, and I think I wound up almost as upset by them as Clay Jensen, who narrates the story as he listens to the tapes. And like Clay, I couldn't stop listening, until all six and a half hours of Hannah's story were through.

Jay Asher has given readers (and listeners) a whole lot to chew on here. As Hannah says (and apparently 2,059 people on Goodreads have "liked" this quote):

“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

I wonder what teens make of this book, and whether it might be almost dangerously heavy subject matter for some. All of the issues surrounding suicide come up here--the thoughtless (and sometimes cruel) things said and done, the missed opportunities to reach out and help that add up to someone's world closing in on them, but also the suicidal person's responsibility for (in this case) herself and to the people who care about her.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that Jay Asher has accomplished something major with this book (his first). Is it perfect? No. He went too far in ways that undercut the narrative occasionally, and the ending was neater than seemed warranted by all that came before. I worry too, that a depressed teenager might miss the parts about responsibility and reaching out to the people who DO care, and only get carried away with the idea of having the last word. But I have to choose the "it was amazing" that 5 stars means on Goodreads because, mostly, it was. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Teen fiction.

"Clay Jenkins returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers 13 cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers."

This was one of those "can't put it down" books that would be easy to recommend to any teen (or even adult) looking for a fast read.

Readalikes: Paper Towns, a similarly dark and compelling read, and The missing girl about a soon-to-be abducted teen. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Because I'm cold-hearted like that.

The 1 REASON WHY I'm not giving this one star is because I trust that it can open positive discussions about suicide with teens. I just hope people point out its crushing amount of flaws while they're at it. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Originally, I wasn't interested in watching the series at all. I'm not a person into romances or dramas, but this book came up on one of my suggested reads, and I don't deny books like I deny things I watch.

I was very wary when I started to read this book, I strongly dislike being sad or crying so I was so reluctant in giving this book a chance. However, after reading it, I must say I'm glad I did.

Clay Jensen receives 13 cassette tapes from his recently dead crush, Hannah Baker. In these tapes, Hannah explains why she ends her life, and the thirteen people that lead her to do it. Clay receives the tapes and when he listens, he tries to figure where he fits in and what he did to lead Hannah to her deadly decision.

This book speaks volumes of how the actions of one person is of consequence to another person. Poor Hannah was going through a series of unfortunate events and having no one she felt she could trust. Whenever Hannah tried to give someone a chance or reach out for help, she was later disappointed. By the time she got to know Clay, there was nothing he could have done. It's just sad that he truly liked her and by twist of fate, she was denied the fact of knowing at least she would know one person truly cared.

I am a suicide survivor. I was depressed, and had terrible thoughts six years ago. I attempted twice, but must have been fate because I am still here. I battled my way through my depression for four years. All of it alone. I am so lucky that I was raised to be that strong and born with that innate strength. I understand what it feels like to feel alone or that no one cares. The fact of the matter is: this is not true. We are not alone. No matter how alone we feel, we aren't. Also, I looked at the big picture. The world doesn't revolve around us. We are pieces to a bigger puzzle, but if we are gone, another can easily fill up that space. There is always someone worse off than us. I thought that my thoughts were selfish and took steps to change my life around. Now I am a crisis counselor, just trying to help others in similar situations. ( )
  luulaa | Jun 15, 2021 |
Clay Jensen receives a package of tapes in the mail with no return address from one of his classmates Hannah baker who had killed herself two weeks before as he struggles to hear the tapes of Hannah he also follows this map that Hannah had put in his locker a week before she committed Suicide as clay travels star to star he hears the stories of people who have hurt Hannah. And drove her to kill herself you only hear the tapes if you had something to do with it so if you don't pass the tapes on they will be release to everyone clay listens to the tapes and he fails to see who he can trust person by person clay has some type of incounterment with everyone else on the tapes and trays to help Hannah out with the last tape she couldn't get around to
added by Jessalynnbanks | editNew York Times, Jessalynn banks

Jay Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnstone, JoelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiseman, DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JoanMarie
"Sir?" she repeats. "How soon do you want it to get there?"
But if I wanted a reminder, I could’ve made copies of the tapes or saved the map. But I never want to hear those tapes again, though her voice will never leave my head. And the houses, the streets, and the high school will always be there to remind me.
I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.
I would have helped her if she’d only let me. I would have helped her because I want her to be alive.
Who am I going to see today? Besides me, eight people at this school have already listened to the tapes. Eight people, today, are waiting to see what the tapes have done to me. And over the next week or so, as the tapes move on, I’ll be doing the same to the rest of them.
''After all, how often do we get a second chance?''

You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,464,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible