Pat of Silver Bush by L. M. Montgomery

Pat of Silver Bush (original 1932; edition 2014)

by L. M. Montgomery (Author)

Member:Cait86
Title:Pat of Silver Bush
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2014), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Obtained 2018

Pat of Silver Bush by L. M. Montgomery (1932)

Nothing means more to Pat than being at home with the people she loves. And nothing frightens Pat more than change. But growing up will mean that not everything can stay the same in Pat of Silver Bush, a novel by author L.M. Montgomery.

Some of the best reading of my life has come from this author, including classics like Anne of Green Gables and more of the Anne novels, but even more so than those, for me: Emily of New Moon and the following two novels about Emily Byrd Starr, three of my all-time favorite books.

But after I moved on to some of this author's more "mature" work over the past few years and ran into stories with unequivocally racist undertones and overtones, I wasn't sure if I'd seek out any more of her writing. In this case, I read this novel chiefly because I'm interested in reading the one after it, and I already own copies of both. I believe that after these two, I'll simply keep the good L.M.M. books I've read, continue to appreciate them for what they are, and leave the rest of the would-be-new-to-me stories where they are, wherever they may be.

As for this novel, I think I might have enjoyed it more if I weren't already so familiar with Emily, Anne, and the ways of their books. Pat's story felt too similar but somehow not as interesting, and this fairly lengthy novel might've been half as long without all of Judy's ramblings. (Yes, I enjoyed Sarah's [were they Sarah's?] ramblings in Rilla of Ingleside, but I guess it wasn't something I needed to see done over again with a "too similar" character.)

Still, as I expected it would, this novel vividly paints the beauty of Prince Edward Island and the sparkle, pain, poignancy, and wonder of childhood and growing up. All things considered, I'm glad I read it. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Dec 13, 2017 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 29, 2017 |
An L. M. Montgomery book that is not so well known as her Anne and Emily books but charming nonetheless. Pat Gardiner is growing up in Prince Edward Island with her extended family around her. A neighbour boy, 'Jingle' Gordon, and his dog are constant companions with Pat. The maid/cook, Judy Plum, is a treasure. A wonderful book about family and friendship and love. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 22, 2017 |
Pat is a child with a homely face, some imagination, and plenty of compassion. She delights in her home and family, resisting change with all her strength. But life is full of changes as Pat grows towards adulthood, some tragic, some joyous.

I liked Pat, especially the more I got to know her. She's not Anne, but can hold her own in L.M. Montgomery's realm. I'll be looking for a copy of the sequel. Recommended. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 1, 2016 |
Originally published in 1933, Pat of Silver Bush was one of L.M. Montgomery's later titles, and although not the equal of the classic Anne of Green Gables, or the romantic The Blue Castle, it nevertheless has a charm all its own. The story of Patricia Gardiner, whose attachment to her family home at Silver Bush runs deep, it is at heart an exploration of the nature of change - both good and bad.

"If I went to heaven I'd want to get back to Silver Bush," declares Pat at one point, and no statement better exemplifies the theme of the book. Devoted to her family, her home, and the domestic rituals of her childhood, Pat is resistant to any change. She mourns the loss of every tree on the property, secretly wonders why her mother would want another child (although she is soon reconciled to the existence of her new baby sister, Cuddles), and wishes passionately that she and her siblings could live together indefinitely at Silver Bush, rather than growing up, getting married, and moving apart.

This leitmotif serves to unify a book that is far more episodic in structure than many of Montgomery's other novels, and seems a reflection of the author's own conflicted feelings on the subject. It is, unfortunately, rather overdone during the first half of the book, with Pat almost a caricature, but the wonderful prose, and the humorous characterization of Judy Plum, are enough to carry the reader through to the second half, by which time Pat is somewhat matured.

Read for the first time as an adult, Pat of Silver Bush will probably never rank among my favorite Montgomery titles, and I cannot help but wonder whether it is just one of those books that needs to be read during youth, in order to achieve the full effect. However that may be, I did enjoy it, am glad to have filled in this hole in my Montgomery knowledge, and look forward to reading the sequel, Mistress Pat! ( )
2 vote AbigailAdams26 | May 27, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alec and May and The Secret Field
"Oh, oh, and I think I'll soon have to be doing some rooting in the parsley bed," said Judy Plum, as she began to cut Winnie's red crepe dress into strips suitable for "hooking."

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0770422470, Mass Market Paperback)

Patricia Gardiner loved Silver Bush more than anything else in the world. She was born and raised in the beautiful old-fashioned house on Prince Edward Island, "where things always seemed the same" and good things never changed. But things do change at Silver Bush--from her first day at school to the arrival of her new own first romance. Through it all, Pat shares her experiences with her beloved friends and discovers the one thing that truly never changes: the beauty and peace she will always find at Silver Bush--the house that remembers her whole life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

The warm and wonderful story of a young girl and the home she would always love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,574,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible