Death of a Perfect Wife by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Perfect Wife (1989)

by M. C. Beaton

Hamish Macbeth, the laid-back constable of Lochdubh, Scotland, has a new Land Rover to drive and a Highland summer to savor, but as fast as rain rolls in from the loch, his happy life goes to hell in a handbasket. The trouble begins when his beloved Priscilla Halburton-Smythe returns from London-with a fiance on her arm. His miseries multiply when clouds of midges, the diabolical Scottish mosquito, descend on the town. Then a paragon of housewifery named Trixie Thomas moves into Lochdubh with her lapdog husband in tow. The newcomer quickly convinces the local ladies to embrace low-cholesterol meals, ban tobacco, and begin bird-watching. Soon the town's fish-and-chips-loving men are up in arms. Now faced with the trials of his own soul, Macbeth must solve Lochdubh's newest crime: the mysterious poisoning of the perfect wife.… (more)

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite one from the series so far. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
Fourth one of the series. ( )
  SeasideBookClub | Sep 3, 2019 |
This series features a village police constable but is absolutely a cozy mystery series. They're short, entertaining and Hamish makes me laugh. I enjoy listening to these in between longer or heavier books.

This time around a newcomer to the sleepy Scottish village seems to be a breath of fresh air but soon becomes a source of irritation for many. There's no shortage of suspects when a murder is committed.

I like Hamish and the recurring characters in the village are fun too. Shaun Grindell does a wonderful job of narrating.
  SuziQoregon | Sep 12, 2018 |
A new couple moves into the village and the wife is quick to start straightening out everyone else's life, creating many enemies. ( )
  addunn3 | Feb 23, 2018 |
Ah, Hamish. You are such a simple man. Priscilla doesn't deserve you.

More murder and mayhem in Lochdubh. For such a small, quiet village lots of people get murdered. I grew up in a small town of 2700 people and we rarely had these shenanigans go on. The one cop on duty was resigned to setting up speed traps (in the same place!!) to get some action. We didn't even have any stoplights, so I feel like I'm a bit of an expert in small town life. Hamish would have fit in perfectly. Anyway, a busybody newcomer is killed, with a long list of suspects. She was pretty terrible, so anyone could have been the culprit. But Hamish solves the case like we would expect, with no resolution to his relationship with Priscilla. Looking forward to book 5. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
For Rory Stuart
It was another day like the morning of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,859,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible