Breaking Canadians: Health Care, Advocacy,…

Breaking Canadians: Health Care, Advocacy, and the Toll of COVID-19 (edition 2024)

by Nili Kaplan-Myrth (Author)

215,293,748 (4)None
The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on people worldwide. The death tolls, the economic disruptions, the impact on our children's education, and the extended periods of social and physical distancing have left us feeling demoralized, exhausted, angry, and burned out. Breaking Canadians brings together health care experts, community advocates, and average citizens from across Canada to offer a unique analysis of the first three years of the COVID-19 pandemic. The book explores the fragmentation of Canada's health care system, the growth of social inequalities, and the impact of colonialism, racism, ableism, and ageism on the well-being of people in this country. It sheds light on the people our health care system undervalues and overlooks, including nurses, social workers, and essential caregivers. An important collection of stories, insights, cautionary tales, and calls for action, Breaking Canadians is also a harbinger of what is to come if we do not learn, change our trajectory, and fix what is broken.… (more)
Member:matsuko
Title:Breaking Canadians: Health Care, Advocacy, and the Toll of COVID-19
Authors:Nili Kaplan-Myrth (Author)
Info:Aevo UTP (2024), 314 pages
Collections:To read

Work Information

Breaking Canadians: Health Care, Advocacy, and the Toll of COVID-19 by Nili Kaplan-Myrth

Recently added bymatsuko, amckie
ARC (1) Canada (1) essays (1) medicine (1) non-fiction (1) politics (1) read2024 (1)

So often the important current event non-fiction available is based on the USA, with only passing reference to Canada. This collection from doctors, nurses, advocates, caregivers, and others impacted by Covid-19 in Canada was important and necessary and also engaging and highly readable. It includes essays on the impacts on health care workers (especially nurses) and burnout, of loss of visitation rights, of the failure to listen to and react to the science, the lack of assistance or care toward Canadians with disabilities, examinations of what could have been done better, and ways in which so many are doing important advocacy work on behalf of all of us. I wish there were a bit more variety in terms of region (a large percent of contributors were from Ontario, a few from BC, and a tiny smattering from other provinces) as well as in terms of including LGBTQ and First Nations voices, but overall I highly recommend this to all Canadians who care about our health care system, our health care workers, and the health of all of us. And to non-Canadians who also wish to learn more about how Covid-19 was handled worldwide and the global impacts that continue. ( )
  amckie | Feb 7, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,915,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible