The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (original 1950; edition 1997)

by Ray Bradbury, Scott Brick (Narrator)

10,994207256 (4.04)463
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:The Martian Chronicles
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Scott Brick (Narrator)
Info:William Morrow (1997), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Science Fiction/Fantasy, Audiobook

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (kelliente)

English (187)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (206)
Wow, I really, really loved this. I found it interesting and surprising and thought-provoking. There are several stories that I want to read again and again. Bravo, Bradbury. ( )
  emma_mc | Sep 23, 2016 |
I remember reading Fahrenheit 451 at a young age and loving it. I remember questioning the female homemaker of the story, however, and wondering why such a progressive boundary-pushing writer couldn't give women a few more dignities. And now as I read his much earlier work, I feel the desire to return to that classic of burning lit and perhaps burn it too. For no author who questions racial prejudices and calls 1950s/40s America a dystopia should ever leave the female issue where it is.

I will no longer put these classics "in their historical contexts" and allow liberal and artistic writers to lock me in a house, enslaved to an archaic ritual. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
A fantastic set of short stories that are loosely connected about the first encounters on Mars and the colonization of it. Each story has its own theme that is incredible and thought provoking. They can be humorous, haunting, or suspenseful. I loved each one as they would blow my mind on concepts that I would have never thought of. Incredible book! ( )
  renbedell | Jul 9, 2016 |
This classic wasn't what I expected, being more a set of interlocking short stories rather than a true narrative novel, but it nonetheless raises some very thoughtful questions about the nature of space exploration, the arrogance required to colonize another planet (with the obvious parallels to colonial forays on Earth), and whether humans are incapable of peaceable existence anywhere. For all the high-flying philosophical ideas contained within it, the book is extremely readable and only requires the reader to think as many deep thoughts as he or she can comfortably handle. In the introduction to the edition I read, Bradbury expresses bemusement that The Martian Chronicles has come to be classified as science fiction, since there are no technical whizzbang gizmos and his imagining of what Mars is quite at odds with the scientific reality (for instance, his Martian atmosphere is oxygen-based, though similar to a high-altitude setting). So if you are somewhat sci-fi phobic, fear not. Nothing here will make you feel stupid or regret not paying attention in high-school physics class. ( )
  rosalita | May 30, 2016 |
Ray Bradbury had a story in my fifth grade and sixth grade English textbooks. I enjoyed them and wanted to read more. I discovered The Martian Chronicles in the school library and I loved it. It was with some trepidation that I decided to re-read this book. Would it hold up to my memories?

Yes, but in different ways. Yes, there were technological anachronisms, such as typewriters. What was timeless were the people. There are explorations of what it means to be "them." First humans are the "them" to be feared and dealt with by the Martians. Then there is the "them" of the Martians. Even the humans divide into "us" and "them" at points. And there is the final story where "us" and "them" sees blurring.

Bradbury also explores the links between science, religion, and art. He looks at censorship and the killing of dreams. There are so many timeless themes in this book.

I believe if you consider yourself culturally literate, you should read this classic book. If you enjoy thoughtful fiction with philosophical implications, then you'll enjoy this book. If you read science fiction and haven't read this book, then you should pick it up next to see the roots of the stories today. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Apr 30, 2016 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
They blended religion and art and science because, at base, science is no more than an investigation of a miracle we can never explain, and art is an interpretation of that miracle.
They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressures; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,198,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible