The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (original 1950; edition 1997)

by Ray Bradbury, Scott Brick (Narrator)

10,508193271 (4.04)432
Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:The Martian Chronicles
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Scott Brick (Narrator)
Info:William Morrow (1997), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Science Fiction/Fantasy, Audiobook

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (kelliente)

English (173)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (192)
I loved this book. Each tale had its own melancholy. Mars was perhaps too believable but its destiny was also disappointingly believable. A bleak vision, beautifully written. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
Stunning and original when it first came out, this book took us to another planet where almost anything could happen. "There will come soft rains" is my favorite. A series of stories loosely woven together. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was an amazing book that I wish I'd read long ago. It is written in several short stories that end up fitting together for a full novel (still only 180 pgs long). The story is about the future of our Earth, people moving to Mars to get away from the Earth's ills, and, since people are always going to be people, so there's no getting away from that! I was so impressed with Bradbury's writing this in 1946 and giving us an idea of what he thought was going to happen in the future. It is set from 1999 to 2026, which is basically -- now. Of course, it's a lot different than what's actually happening now. In some ways he has advanced on us (rockets, easy space travel) and in other ways we have advanced on him (personal computers, social communication). Anyway, I've read some Bradbury that I wasn't crazy about, but I really liked this one and would highly recommend it! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
This series of vignettes begins in 1999 and ends in 2026 and takes place on Mars for the most part. It includes descriptions of life on Mars before humans arrive, the first few missions that arrived on Mars, human colonization of Mars, and the eventual abandonment of the planet by humans.

I'm not a huge fan of science fiction, but this was one science fiction book that I really enjoyed rereading. I like that each of the stories could stand alone and that they were short enough that you could read one or two quickly as you feel like it, but at the same time, they all worked well together to form a cohesive novel that you could read in one sitting if you really wanted to. I also really liked Bradbury's not-so-subtle message about humanity's tendency to destroy things, including the planet(s) we live on. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,046,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible