Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection

by Stephanie Dowrick

Winner of the COVR Award for Book of the Year (2007) From the #1 creativity publisher in the country comes our latest creativity bestseller--Creative Journal Writing--the ultimate book for those who are looking to use this powerful tool to heal, expand, and transform their lives. In this exceptionally positive and encouraging book, Stephanie Dowrick frees the journal writer she believes is in virtually everyone, showing through stories and examples that a genuine sense of possibility can be revived on every page. Creative journal writing goes way beyond just recording events on paper. It can be the companion that supports but doesn't judge, a place of unparalleled discovery, and a creative playground where the everyday rules no longer count. Proven benefits of journal writing include reduced stress and anxiety, increased self-awareness, sharpened mental skills, genuine psychological insight, creative inspiration and motivation, strengthened ability to cope during difficult times, and overall physical and emotional well-being. Combining a rich choice of ideas with wonderful stories, quotes, and her refreshingly intimate thoughts gained through a lifetime of writing, Dowrick's insights and confidence make journal writing irresistible'and your own life more enchanting. Included in Creative Journal Writing are: u stories of how people have used journal writing to transform their lives; · inspirational instructions, guidelines, and quotes; · key principles, practical suggestions, and helpful hints; · 125 starter topics, designed to help even the most reluctant journal writer; · more than forty powerful exercises; · and much more!… (more)

I liked this book. It was an easy read. The author keeps you engaged.. There are some good ideas in here. ( )
  lisacmiller | Feb 9, 2014 |
helped to start me on my reflective writing project ( )
  dendrea | Mar 31, 2009 |
Over the years I have made many aborted attempts at keeping a journal. Starting out with the best of intentions, I would soon lose interest when my journal writing became very dull, little more than a recording of facts and events.

Stephanie Dowrick's 'Creative journal writing' helped to change all that. While Stephanie still talks about the importance of recording facts and events, she shows us how a journal can be so much more.

After briefly discussing the reasons for keeping a journal, and how to go about choosing a journal, Stephanie then presents us with many exercises and examples which help us to explore a whole range of deeper issues.

Using techniques such as free association, observing your internal and extenal environments, reflection, venting and many others we learn how to make our journal writing more interesting.

There are many reasons for keeping a journal, and many ways of journal writing. Stephanie covers just about all of them in this book. Some of the exercises here may appeal to you, some may not. The trick is to pick what works for you, and just write. This is probably the best book I've come across to help you get started.
  mannysborrowedbliss | Dec 13, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,013,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible