A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Khaled Hosseini

Two women born a generation apart witness the destruction of their home and family in war-torn Kabul, losses incurred over the course of thirty years that test the limits of their strength and courage.
Member:petercasier
Title:A Thousand Splendid Suns
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (readerbabe1984)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (readerbabe1984)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi (readerbabe1984)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (TeeKay)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Thousand Veils by D. J. Murphy (KnowWhatILike)
    KnowWhatILike: Both A Thousand Veils, situated in Iraq, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, situated in Afghanistan, are the stories of Muslim women who try to confront the repressive environments in their countries and who are persecuted as a result.
    The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra (elbakerone)
    The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi (Headinherbooks_27)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin (meggyweg)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (crislee123)
    Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: A beautiful coming of age story set in Tehran during the 1970s. Pasha spends one unforgettable summer playing football (soccer) with the kids in the alley, talking politics and philosophy with his best friend Ahmed, and falling in love with his beautiful neighbor, a girl promised in marriage to Pasha's friend and mentor.… (more)
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (charlie68)
    charlie68: This book is set mostly in India, but in section diverts to the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. An engrossing account of the story.
    A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan (meggyweg)
    The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi (teresasadurni)
    Chika Unigwe: Short Stories by Chika Unigwe (WorldreaderBCN)
    Caravans by James A. Michener (charlie68)
    charlie68: Both take place in Afghanistan and capture the ethos of the region.
    Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors (silva_44)

English (758)  Dutch (30)  Spanish (22)  Swedish (8)  Italian (7)  Danish (7)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Catalan (5)  German (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (861)
So many emotions. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I’m going to miss the women in this book. Their strength and resilience were palpable. ( )
  varishaa | Sep 5, 2022 |
encourages women rights
  atiqafaisal | Sep 3, 2022 |
Though not as popular as Khaled Hosseini's [b:The Kite Runner|77203|The Kite Runner|Khaled Hosseini|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1579036753l/77203._SY75_.jpg|3295919], "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is an extremely important novel with a huge number of interesting themes which are explored in its rather short amount of pages. In this family saga and moving tale of friendship, hate and love at the same time, Hosseini abbreviates several decades of important history into a fictional story spanning more than thirty years.

It's a depressing novel, consisting of a rather dark atmosphere and many chapters which will leave you gasping for breath due to the sheer amount of brutality and inhumanity some characters seem to love carrying out. What I found most intriguing in this novel was the way Hosseini managed to provide a lot of information about the history of Afghanistan, a country which has been dominated by war and destruction for such a long time. At times he came close to sounding like a nonfictional correspondent of the events with his prose, but fortunately it never felt like the author was trying to pour infodump out on his readers.

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" is a tough book to review, simply because it deals with so many socially relevant issues that it feels like nitpicking to talk about the writing and the characterization. It's an important book which I can only encourage everyone to read as soon as possible, considering that it offers plenty food for your thoughts and leaves you pondering about themes and questions which you may not have thought about in such detailed precision before. My biggest problem with the novel was mostly about the main characters Laila and Mariam, who - thanks to the rather detached and neutral writing style - felt very difficult to connect or relate to. I started rooting for these characters throughout the course of the novel, though that's rather obvious to say considering the fate these two women had to endure in the course of the plot.

As a final note, I think this book - or Hosseini's other books in general - should receive more attention by the public. Nowadays, especially here in Germany, there is a lot of displeasure directed towards foreigners and their cultures, not necessarily people from Afghanistan, but the Middle East and Far East in general. Hosseini manages to introduces his readers who are not familiar with the cultures described in this novel to a different world, a world I personally didn't know as much about before reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (and still wouldn't consider myself knowing a lot about). Khaled Hosseini's writing transports the important message that no matter where we come from, we are still all humans. Here in Germany and probably in many other places on our planet as well, people often tend to forget that coming from a different culture does not mean those humans are worth any less than we all are, and I think Hosseini's writing has the strength to remind more people of this fact. We are all human, and everyone deserves to be treated as such - no matter which cultural background you belong to. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Kabul, Afghanistan
One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls

- Saib-e-Tabrizi

I cannot write a proper review of this book. By the end, I was weeping so that it was difficult to see the words on the page, they swam before my eyes. I would stop, clear my eyes, stop crying, pick up the book and almost immediately proceed to cry again. I cannot remember the last time a book hit me at such an emotional level.

I read Hosseini’s And the Mountains Echoed earlier this year and thought it an excellent work, and he an excellent writer. It was nothing compared to this. And, a bonus is that I came away feeling I have some deeper understanding of the people and the region for which so much American blood has been spilt. I am sure I could never look at the conflict or the people in a dispassionate way having read this heartfelt novel.

I have had this book sitting on a table waiting to be the next book up for years. I put it on my challenge last year and it was the only book there that I did not complete. I have reached over it to grab lesser books and have no explanation for why. Don’t let this happen to you. If you have not read A Thousand Splendid Suns you are missing something important. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Propelled by the same superb instinct for storytelling that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once an incredible chronicle of 30 years of Afghanistan history and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, faith, and the salvation to be found in love.
Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss, and by fate. As they endure the ever-escalating dangers around them, in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul, they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival. ( )
  Gmomaj | Jul 18, 2022 |
Hosseini doesn’t seem entirely comfortable writing about the inner lives of women and often resorts to stock phrases. Yet Hosseini succeeds in carrying readers along because he understands the power of emotion as few other popular writers do.

Anyone whose heart strings were pulled by Khaled Hosseini's first, hugely successful novel, The Kite Runner, should be more than satisfied with this follow-up. Hosseini is skilled at telling a certain kind of story, in which events that may seem unbearable - violence, misery and abuse - are made readable.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Natasha Walter (May 19, 2007)

Vi følger to afghanske kvinners liv gjennom tre tiår med krig og Talibans tyranni. Mariam er en harami ­– uekte datter av en rik forretningsmann. Laila en oppvakt og moderne jente fra Kabul.

Gjennom skjebnens luner forenes deres veier, og de blir allierte i kamp mot en brutal ektemann og et krigersk, kvinneundertrykkende samfunn.

Hosseini gir en brutal, men nyansert beskrivelse av den patriarkalske despotismen som gjør kvinner avhengige av fedre, ektemenn og sønner. Men tross all sorg og urettferdighet, vold og fattigdom, mord og henrettelser, løfter Hosseini og hans kvinnelige hovedpersoner leseren med seg videre og nekter oss å gi opp håpet.

"Nok en kunstnerisk triumf og garantert bestselger fra denne fryktløse forfatteren."
Kirkus Review

"I tilfelle du skulle lure på om Khaled Hosseinis Tusen strålende soler er like god som Drageløperen er svaret: Nei. Den er bedre."
Washington Post

Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vuelta, María PardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, Ŭn-ch'ŏlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah, both the noor of my eyes, and to the women of Afghanistan.
Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.
[Afterword] For almost three decades now, the Afghan refugee crisis has been one of the most severe around the globe.
Nobody could count the moons that shined on her roofs,
or the thousand splendid suns that hid behind her walls

A moving story
of Mariam and Laila,
of love and heartache.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,323,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible