The Last Disciple: Exile in Ephesus

by Kurt Brouwer

225,365,399 (4)None
Recently added byHarley0326, PattiP1992

No tags

I enjoy reading books that follow closely to a story from the Bible. The success of the book is how parallel the two stories are and if the author expands a little to enhance the story. This book has all those qualities. The story follows John and the trials he went through as a disciple of Jesus. He endured a lot of ridicule and found himself alone at times.

The author does a good job of researching John and highlights several events from his life. There are times that the author may have inserted his own thoughts of what John thought or did in a situation but that is to be expected when it is a fictional account. I have read other books from this author and always find that he doesn’t take too much liberty in his books. I feel like I know John better and learned things I may have overlooked about him in the Bible. What inspires me about books like this is it encourages me to read the passages from the Bible to better understand about the subject of the book.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Apr 17, 2024 |
Are you drawn to the mystique of biblical narratives woven into the fabric of historical fiction? If so, Kurt Brouwer’s “The Last Disciple: Exile in Ephesus” might be the next captivating read on your list. The third installment in the series delves deep into the life of the disciple John, crafting a plausible account of his exile to Ephesus.

Brouwer’s skillful storytelling brings to life the ancient world, immersing readers in the tumultuous times of early Christianity. He paints a compelling portrait of John’s journey through intricate details and vivid imagery, inviting readers to experience the apostle’s trials and triumphs firsthand.

However, it’s essential to note that this book falls squarely within the genre of Christian historical fiction. If fictionalized retellings of biblical events aren’t your tea, you should explore other genres. But for those intrigued by the intersection of faith and history, “The Last Disciple: Exile in Ephesus” offers a rich tapestry of storytelling that’s sure to satisfy.

To fully appreciate Brouwer’s narrative, start with the first book in the series and work your way through it. This book lets you fully immerse yourself in the characters and their journey, enhancing your reading experience.

In conclusion, if you’re seeking a captivating blend of biblical truth and historical imagination, “The Last Disciple: Exile in Ephesus” by Kurt Brouwer is a must-read. Dive into the ancient world of the disciple John and discover a tale that resonates with timeless themes of faith, perseverance, and redemption.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  PattiP1992 | Mar 5, 2024 |

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,163,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible