Gathering Blue (Giver Quartet) by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue (Giver Quartet) (original 2000; edition 2013)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Member:CandG
Title:Gathering Blue (Giver Quartet)
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2013), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages
Collections:To read

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (2000)

The Giver by Lois Lowry (ashleeeyyy88)
    Crewel by Gennifer Albin (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.
    Long Night Dance by Betsy James (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Another fantastic story with a somewhat dystopian society and a strong young heroine.
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Another young adult dystopian society with primarily historical levels of technology.

English (240)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (243)
Another great book by Lois Lowry. I was expecting this book to have the same characters as The Giver, but I was definitely wrong. While Gathering Blue is part of The Giver quartet, it focuses on an entirely new set of characters and plot than The Giver.

These books were very different and I honestly cannot decide which one I like more. They were both wonderful reads.

Gathering Blue was a simple read and easy to understand. While I would not say it was very engaging, it was also not boring either. It held your attention but it wasn't a book where I felt a compelling need to keep reading. With that being said, I love Kira and Matt. I think Matt was my favorite character. He has such a strong sense of self-preservation and adventure. And he is loyal to Kira which I found remarkable since they did not show the concept of loyalty with the others. While they cared about each other, they were also primarily out to defend themselves. But with Kira and Matt, they both showed that they were capable of thinking of others besides themselves. Kira cares about Matt, Thomas, and Jo. And all 4 care about each other. Loyalty is a very strong theme throughout this book.

I love Kira. She is a strong and resilient girl. Even though she has a deformity, she does not let it stop her. She does not submit when they try to kick her out. She stays loyal to her friends even when she has the chance to leave. And she measures up to every task that is put before her. She is a strong example that you can do anything you set your mind to.

I felt that this book ended with a cliffhanger, which I will not describe here, if you want to know, leave a comment or message. While it was not a large cliffhanger, I am anxious to read the third book now. Hopefully it will contain the same characters. Although the first book also had a small cliffhanger as well. I hope that the quartet answers all my questions.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do not read further unless you want some of the plot given away

Current questions from Gathering Blue

1. Why is there no blue in the village?
2. Does Jamison care about Kira or does he simply want to control her talents?
3. Is there magic with Kira's, Thomas's, and Jo's talents? How did they simply "know" what to do?
4. Will Kira be reunited with her father again or will Jamison discover he is still alive?
5. Was Annabella murdered? Same with Jo's parents.
6. Why are the parents in the Fen so cruel with their children?
7. Why is the Singer in chains? ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
If the world we know ended tomorrow, but humans survived, how would we reorganize ourselves? This is what this series imagines. I love post-apocalyptic novels and this did not disappoint. Ok, maybe a little in that i like my books to have more firm conclusions. It is not a sequel to "The Giver," rather another story from it's universe. Looking forward to reading the next book & seeing what type of society emerges there.
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |

A surprisingly gentle story against a brutal background of a village that discards the weak and indentures its artists. I liked it better than the Giver. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This was my least favorite read of the semester, but still a good read. Kira, finds herself alone after her mother's untimely death.

t ( )
  NDeBlieux | May 8, 2019 |
A companion book to the Giver (and part of the Giver Quartet), Gathering Blue follows Kira, a disabled young girl, as she tries to navigate her village after the death of her mother. Kira's world is dirty and brutal, a place where only the strong, clever and ruthless survive. A place where the weak are put out to the Fields for the beasts to take. Just when Kira is sure that she'll be put out to the Fields as well, the village council assigns her an important task. However, the more embedded Kira becomes in her new position, the more she learns that not everything the council tells the people is true. When Kira discovers that there may be an alternative to the brutish life she's always known, she'll have to decide whether to stay in the life she's always known or try to make a new life for herself.

Gathering Blue is essentially a stand-alone novel in the Giver Quartet. You don't need to have read The Giver to read Gathering Blue and there's no crossover between the books except for one small hint of what's to come - if you know where to look. ( )
  adrouet | May 4, 2019 |
''The Giver'' was an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind book that spoke as much to adults, myself included, as to children. The future world it depicted was rich and seductive and -- frightening thought -- completely plausible. The brute, survivalist world of ''Gathering Blue'' is much less convincing, with neither the dimension nor the subtlety of ''The Giver.'' Many of the characters in ''Gathering Blue'' are presented as either good or bad, and lack the complexity of real people.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Borowitz, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mother?" There was no reply. She hadn't expected one. Her mother had been dead now for four days, and Kira could tell that the last of her spirit was drifting away.
She knew something else as well, and with the realization, she rose from the damp grass to go indoors, to find her father and tell him that she could not be his eyes. That she must stay.

AR Book Level 5.0, 7 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385732562, Paperback)

Lois Lowry's magnificent novel of the distant future, The Giver, is set in a highly technical and emotionally repressed society. This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love. (Ages 10 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Lame and suddenly orphaned, Kira is mysteriously removed from her squalid village to live in the palatial Council Edifice, where she is expected to use her gifts as a weaver to do the bidding of the all-powerful Guardians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible