Dead Animals

by Phoebe Stuckes

413,496,980 (3.5)None
A young woman wakes after a house party with scratches and bruises and a gap in her memory. As the violent truth comes back to her, a series of events she struggles to name, her anger grows. Solace comes in the form of enigmatic, captivating Helene, who knows what the man at the party did, has suffered at his hands too. An act of violence demands one in return and Helene is planning revenge. But who can afford to ask for justice, when the cost is murderously high?… (more)

No tags

Our unnamed narrator wakes up covered in bruises after a party. She doesn't remember much, but she remembers a man. She soon meets Helene, another woman he hurt who wants to get vengeance for them both.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this one. On one hand I loved the exploration of abuse and the struggles that young people face. I enjoyed the blurring between what is real and what isn't (sometimes it wasn't clear which side of the line things fell) and the exploration of the complexity of relationshi0ps and pain and struggles. But at the same time I was hoping for something a little more. Sometimes I wished the author delved into certain scenes or events a little more. While they do all contribute to who our narrator is and why she is how she is, I think some interactions had less of an impact on the story than others and could have had more done with them. I especially wished for more when it came to the ending, which was rushed and a little vague. I'm not sure how intentional it was, but something felt off about Helene from the start. I could never really get into their relationship - something just felt wrong and I found myself disliking her more and more as the book went on. Maybe that had some kind of effect on how I perceived things? I did, however, feel bad for our narrator who seems to be surrounded by terrible people and doesn't really seem to have much good going on.

If you enjoy audiobooks I would definitely recommend reading this book in audiobook form. The first person perspective really lends itself to that (although the start is in second person. I'm glad it changed - I think I would struggle to read a whole book in that point of view). The narrator also did a phenomenal job. The somewhat deadpan (but not emotionless) tone enhances the experience - it is definitely a common way in which people talk about their trauma.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own. ( )
  TheAceOfPages | Mar 23, 2024 |
Here's the thing about getting hit. (Prologue)
I got obsessed with thinking that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,723,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible