Despues del terremoto (Spanish Edition) by…

Despues del terremoto (Spanish Edition) (original 2000; edition 2013)

by Haruki Murakami

A collection of stories inspired by the January 1995 Kobe earthquake and the poison gas subway attacks two months later takes place between the two disasters and follows the experiences of people who found their normal lives undone by surreal events.
Member:bibliovaldejaen
Title:Despues del terremoto (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Planeta Publishing (2013), Paperback, 192 páginas

After the Quake by Haruki Murakami (2000)

English (90)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (101)
An absolutely beautiful, enchanting collection of short stories. I love Murakami when he does magical realism and metafiction, and every story just hits the mark for both. I would definitely recommend this is a perfect primer for Murakami newbies.

PS: I got so hyped reading this, I already have Pinball/Wind on my library book shelf for me to read later! And now I want to re-read both 1Q84 and Norwegian Wood - why can't I have more time in the day for Murakami, tho?! ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
It's a weird moment when a middle-aged debt collector visited by a giant frog who tells him they need to save Tokyo from an earthquake is the most relatable character in a book? These short surreal stories feel more real than most fiction - despite the bizarre elements, the emotional atmosphere is so accurate to life that somehow the hanging plot-threads of every single story somehow don't matter? Even if we don't know how things are going to work out for the characters, the psychological portraits are, for the most part, so skilfully drawn that we don't need to know, which is the best part of Murakami's work in general and this book in particular.
  wallymeadows | Feb 18, 2021 |
Beautiful, if somewhat strange stories. As a whole they convey a sense of well-being despite the natural order of chaos. I'll miss this as my bedtime story book :) ( )
  nick4998 | Oct 31, 2020 |
I loved how the themes of these stories – death, regret, love – carried through in different iterations, making them feel linked together but still separate enough. The final story ended the collection on a hopeful note, that you can make a change when your life gets off track. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
Murakami writes at his straightforward best in this collection of six short stories. Using the tragic 1995 Kobe, Japan earthquake as his jumping off point, Murakami beautifully and eloquently captures moments in the lives of a handful of Japanese citizens- none of them actually living in Kobe at the time of the quake- and illustrates how catastrophic events affect us all, even if we are not directly impacted. An unhappy wife becomes obsessed with news of the earthquake and suddenly decides to leave her husband, inspiring him to undertake a spiritual journey of his own. A young man, raised to believe that his father is God, decides to seek out his real father. An overworked business woman takes a much needed vacation and undergoes a spiritual reading that would profoundly change her life. Although none of the characters are directly impacted by the devastation in Kobe, the existential questions that such a disaster raises impacts each of their lives in a compelling and meaningful way.

For the most part, Murakami abandons his surrealistic ways and keeps the stories grounded in reality, with only a hint or two of unexplained weirdness (a Murakami trademark). The main exception is "Super Frog Saves Tokyo", a story about a man who comes home from work to find a giant frog in his kitchen requesting help to save Tokyo from the Worm. Apart from this, the remaining stories occupy a Japan as normal as anything Murakami has written about, portraying the unsettled consciousness of a nation dealing with a disaster of historical proportions.

"After the Quake" may be Murakami at his simplest, but it is also Murakami at his best. ( )
  modioperandi | May 12, 2020 |
I loved this book before last week’s earthquake, because it illuminated a few things about my own condition at the time that I read it. But now the truth in this collection of fiction has a new depth to it; its general conclusions have become amazingly relevant and important to us this week. It offers no solutions and I don’t even think it offers much comfort, but it holds a hauntingly accurate mirror to our world now.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Liza! What was it yesterday, then?”
“It was what it was.”
“That’s impossible! That’s cruel!”

—Fyodor Dostoevsky, Demons
RADIO: …garrison already decimated by the Vietcong, who lost 115 of their men…
WOMAN: It’s awful, isn’t it, it’s so anonymous.
MAN: What is?
WOMAN: They say 115 guerillas, yet it doesn’t mean anything, because we don’t know anything about these men, who they are, whether they love a woman, or have children, if they prefer the cinema to the theatre. We know nothing. They just say…115 dead.

—Jean-Luc Godard, Pierrot le Fou
Five straight days she spend in front of the television, staring at crumbled banks and hospitals, whole blocks of stores in flames, severed rail lines and expressways.
Please do not combine this entry with the entries for the individual short stories.

The economy was booming. People had more money than they knew what to do with. And then the earthquake struck. For the characters in After the Quake, the Kobe earthquake is an echo from a past they buried long ago. Satsuki has spent thirty years hating one man: a lover who destroyed her chances of having children. Did her desire for revenge cause the earthquake? Junpei's estranged parents live in Kobe. Should he contact them? Miyake left his family in Kobe to make midnight bonfires on a beach hundreds of miles away. Fourteen-year-old Sala has nightmares that the Earthquake Man is trying to stuff her inside a little box. Katagiri returns home to find a giant frog in his apartment on a mission to save Tokyo from a massive burrowing worm. 'When he gets angry, he causes earthquakes,' says Frog. 'And right now he is very, very angry.' This new collection of stories, from one of the world's greatest living writers, dissects the violence beneath the surface of modern Japan.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible