All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks

All About Love: New Visions (2000)

by bell hooks

You know how you repeat a word and it loses all meaning and distinction, well this book did that with the word love for me. The word appears in just about every sentence. Yes the book is about love, so it's expected. There was a lot I agreed with in All About Love, but a lot of it I felt was Bell Hooks saying this is how she lives her life and feels so we should all too. Sometimes difficult topics were over simplified and made to be about love. It's a interesting read and she makes some good observations, but too much of it feels like those damn millennials rants. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
Terceiro livro do clube do livro da Emma Watson

O horror. Sei que deveria dar duas estrelinhas pelo fato da hooks ser feminista, mas é humanamente impossível. Ninguém que seja estudioso do ser humano pode levar um livro de autoajuda desses a sério, é terrível e há muitos anos não sentia vergonha de estar lendo um livro e (pasme!) conseguir terminá-lo! Mas veja pelo lado bom, finalmente fiquei incitada a pegar para ler o A Arte de Amar do Erich Fromm. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
An easy read, and I don't agree with all of it, but certainly very thought provoking. Great for discussion or contemplation. I used half a tin of book darts! 4.0

Here are two quotes: "Psycholanalysts...critique the idea that we fall in love, (but) we continue to invest in the fantasy of effortless union. We continue to believe we are swept away, caught up in the rapture, that we lack choice and will...love (is) action, 'essentially an act of will...To love somebody is not just a strong feeling--it is a decision, it is a judgement, it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go....'

"'Love is an act of will--namely, both an intention and action. Will also implies choice. We do not have to love. We choose to love.'" (p. 172)

Here's the second quote:

"Committed love relationships are far more likely to become codependent when we cut off all our ties with friends to give theses bonds we consider primary our exclusive attention. I have felt especially devastated when close friends who were single fell in love and simultaneously fell away from our friendship....The more genuine our romantic loves the more we do not feel called upon to weaken or sever ties with friends in order to strengthen ties with romantic partners. Trust is the heartbeat of genuine love. And we trust that the attention our partners give friends, or vice versa, does not take anything away from us--we are not diminished." (p. 135)

Chapters include:
Romance
Loss
Healing
Divinity

Definitely worth reading. ( )
  Berly | Dec 1, 2017 |
Well worth reading. ( )
  rastamandj | Jun 14, 2017 |
bell hooks is a well known black feminist writer, but I had not read anything by her so I jumped into a recent group read.

I was a bit disappointed because this one was less about feminism per se and started out feeling more like a self-help book. I do understand, though, that learning how to love yourself and others can be a form of feminism. This one examined the concept of love – not the romantic, falling-into-love of the western world but a more philosophical analysis of all the type of love one can enjoy – starting out with the way to honor and understand yourself and ending with love of God/spiritual love.

Lots of food for thought, here. I ended up reading several chapters more than once and think I should revisit parts of it periodically as a sort of meditation.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'll give it four stars. ( )
  streamsong | Jun 3, 2016 |
When I was a child, it was clear to me that life was not worth living if we did not know love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060959479, Paperback)

Readers of bell hooks's fiery and eloquent attacks on racism and sexism might be surprised to see her take on the elusive subject of love, but in her own unique way, hooks beautifully weaves her childhood search for that emotion with society's misuse (and dire need) of it. All About Love takes apart the sentimental and often fleeting aspects of romance, stuck in the muddled urges of sex, and details the problems that arise from the confusion between the two. What hooks does best is reveal that the true force of love lies in its spiritual, redemptive power, which can impact positively on humankind: "When angels speak of love they tell us it is only by loving that we enter an earthly paradise," she writes. "They tell us paradise is our home and love our true destiny." --Eugene Holley Jr.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

Presenting radical new ways to think about love, the author examines the role of love in our personal and professional lives and how it can be used to end struggles between individuals, communities, and societies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible