Two Towers (Ace Unauthorized Edition A-5)

Two Towers (Ace Unauthorized Edition A-5) (original 1954; edition 1964)

35,29220832 (4.39)1 / 460
Member:mwirkk
Title:Two Towers (Ace Unauthorized Edition A-5)
Authors:
Info:Ace Books (1964), Edition: 1st Paperback, Mass Market Paperback, 381 pages

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1954)

English (192)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (208)
I've read this before, I think twice before, but both times were many years ago. The part I remembered best was about the Ents, and I still liked them the best. I'd forgotten that the book is not really self-contained. It ends in a place requiring additional explication, which of course, happens in the third book of the trilogy, The Return of the King. Presumably I'll get to that one soon.

Just after I finished, my spouse made me watch the video. Just as in the first video, much was left out and much was added. I'm less and less a fan of Peter Jackson's adaptations of the Tolkien stories. They seem to be turning more and more into fan fic. That's ok, I suppose, but we get more violence than is in the book, and much less human nature (not that hobbits are human, but in many ways they behave like the better parts of us). I realize that violence sells better to most people than does ruminations on human nature, but not to me. I'm rather sick of the glorification of killing other creatures. We've become insensate.

update:
Whoa! Talk about fan fic. Part 2 of The Hobbit film trilogy, named The Desolation of Smaug, bears virtually no relationship to the book. OK, I guess, unless you wanted to relive the actual story in film version. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
As long as you can go straight into the third book, this one is as great as the others. It leaves you hanging otherwise, like watching Empire without Return!! Is that too geek? Ah well, I don't really care. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
The Two Towers is part II of J. R. R. Tolkien’s epic Lord of the Rings. The story is told in two sections, the first following the group after Frodo and Sam have struck out on their own. Aragon, Legolas and Gimli are searching for Merry and Pippin who had been kidnapped by orcs who struck down Boromir and spirited the Hobbits away. Gandalf makes his re-appearance, and there is a massive battle that the Ents help to turn in their favour. Merry and Pippin are found safe as they have been travelling in the company of the Ents after they managed to escape from the clutches of the orcs. As for Frodo and Sam they are on their perilous journey to Mordor. Along the way they capture the Gollum who agrees to guide them to a secret entrance, but the Gollum is drawn by the power of the Ring and cannot be fully trusted. Samwise, on the other hand shows great loyalty and love toward Frodo, and to my eyes emerges as a true hero.

There are so many excellent characters that pass through the story during the course of The Two Towers, but I really need to comment on Gollum/Smeagol who is both treacherous and pitiful. He serves as a reminder of what can happen if one latches onto the power of the ring and as a contrast all the Hobbits are shown as the resourceful and courageous creatures that they are. I listened to this book as read and enhanced by Rob Inglis.

This was a true cliff-hanger so I need to carry on with the next book quickly. Overall, The Two Towers advances the story and expands on the world of Middle Earth. The depth and scope of this book brings into focus the influence that it has had on all the fantasy novels that have followed. It truly deserves to be called a classic. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 6, 2019 |
Where The Fellowship of the Ring dragged on for an age (thanks, Council of Elrond!), The Two Towers swiftly picks up its pace. The fellowship have now gone their separate ways and are having battles and adventures of their own. Merry and Pippin have teamed with the Ents. Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn connect with an old friend. And as for Frodo and Sam? The two Hobbits are following the perilous journey to Mordor to destroy the One Ring.

While as a whole I think The Fellowship of the Ring is a more successful novel in that it feels like things are actually getting done, I do find The Two Towers more enjoyable. With the fellowship separated, the pacing of the story really picks up, and I found my attention was less apt to wander. Tolkien’s writing is very dense, and for myself, I have to focus extra hard to make sure I’m actually paying attention to the story and not just letting the words slip through my brain unabsorbed.

Depending on whether you like all the characters or just some of them, The Two Towers may be an extra chore. I’m fortunate in that I love Merry and Pippin’s adventure with the Ents, and I enjoy Sam and Smeagol, and the feats of Aragorn and Co. I’ll be honest – if Frodo went off on his own and didn’t have Sam there with him, I’d likely be bored to tears for the most important storyline in the trilogy. Tolkien does a very good job balancing his characters, and it’s so important in a long-winded epic fantasy. Without likable characters, the drudgery of this type of writing would repel the average reader, leaving The Lord of the Rings to be a piece for deep fan speculation.

My biggest complaint with The Two Towers is that even though it seemed to be moving swiftly, nothing happened. There was a small battle that took out a minor character, but there were whole scenes that added nothing to the plot. A lot of time in the beginning was spent speaking of the dead. When Aragorn and Co. meet up with Merry and Pippin, we are told about a past battle rather than experiencing it ourselves. There’s a lot of dialogue where there should be action. It gets boring. At the beginning of The Two Towers, there’s no real direction, and at the end of The Two Towers, the groups have made commitments, but haven’t made it very far down the road. It leaves a lot for The Return of the King to cover.

Even without any real feel of progress, this book is enjoyable enough. Characters who felt flat in the first book have fleshed out a little bit – Legolas’s love for Fangorn Forest gives him some depth, for one. While Merry and Pippin still blend together and Aragorn’s complexities are still mostly conversation, there’s hope for these others as the trilogy continues.

As with book one, the bits and pieces I find particularly interesting seem so short. I remember being fascinated by the Dead Marshes in the film, and I was hoping for a little more depth about those in The Two Towers. The magic of Middle Earth is a constant fascination to me – particularly magic of the dead. The Barrow King, the Dead Marshes, even the naming of Sauron as The Necromancer. For LotR fans out there – is there more depth on these things in the appendices or other works?

As a whole, The Two Towers reads better than The Fellowship of the Ring and of course, we need to know what happens to everyone, so it’s on to The Return of the King! Nonetheless, for casual readers I still feel pretty confident in saying that the films with Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, etc., are a pretty good overview of the story for those who find the books daunting. ( )
1 vote Morteana | May 1, 2019 |
3.5 stars.
Den var lite långsam en stund där i mitten. Bäst tyckte jag nog om Merry och Pippin.
Det slutade bra med en cliffhanger där på slutet. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
That 'The Lord of the Rings' should appeal to readers of the most austere tastes suggests that they too now long for the old, forthright, virile kind of narrative... the author has had intimate access to an epic tradition stretching back and back and disappearing in the mists of Germanic history, so that his story has a kind of echoing depth behind it...

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westra, Liuwe H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Aragorn sped on up the hill. Every now and then he bent to the ground. Hobbits go light, and their footprints are not easy even for a Ranger to read, but not far from the top a spring crossed the path, and in the wet earth he saw what he was seeking.
"Not asleep, dead".
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume II, The Two Towers; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: As Duas Torres in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume II of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Two Towers. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the first part (of two) of Volume II, roughly corresponding to Book Three of the larger Work, The Treason of Isengard; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.
This is the facing page English and Serbian edition. It is diifferent from the 2016 edition which includes the Corrigan Poems
The Fellowship was scattered. Some were bracing hopelessly for war against the ancient evil of Sauron. Some were contending with the treachery of the wizard Saruman. Only Frodo and Sam were left to take the accursed Ring of Power to be destroyed in Mordor–the dark Kingdom where Sauron was supreme. Their guide was Gollum, deceitful and lust-filled, slave to the corruption of the Ring.

The second book of the famous fantasy trilogy.

Current discussions

Lord of the Rings Group Read in 2019 Category Challenge

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,642,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible