The Return Of The King - Being The Third…

The Return Of The King - Being The Third Part Of The Lord Of The Rings (original 1955; edition 2003)

by J.R.R. Tolkein

For over fifty years, J.R.R. Tolkien's peerless fantasy has accumulated worldwide acclaim as the greatest adventure tale ever written. No other writer has created a world as distinct as Middle-earth, complete with its own geography, history, languages, and legends. And no one has created characters as endearing as Tolkien's large-hearted, hairy-footed hobbits. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings continues to seize the imaginations of readers of all ages, and this new three-volume paperback edition is designed to appeal to the youngest of them. In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elvensmiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, still it remained lost to him . . .… (more)
Member:Consuela
Title:The Return Of The King - Being The Third Part Of The Lord Of The Rings
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkein
Info:Houghton Mifflin Company (2003), Paperback

Work Information

The Return of The King by J. R. R. Tolkien (1955)

Oswald: Return of the King by Edoardo Albert (heidialice)
    heidialice: Oswald is a tribute to Tolkien and his scholarship, and while strictly historical (fiction) with no fantasy elements, is in my opinion a worthy companion read!
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: contains many Lord of the Rings references

English (223)  Spanish (9)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Slovak (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (243)
This is an excellent ending to a great adventure, and well written by the author. I loved all the familiar characters lovingly depicted in the movie of the same name. ( )
  deaflower | Apr 9, 2022 |
It was good. The ending is weird. I might need to read it again. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | Apr 8, 2022 |
The Return of the King - Tolkien
Audio performance by Andy Serkis
5 stars

I’ll say it again. Andy Serkis nailed the Gollum voice. I can still hear that last scream…Precious! It’s well worth having this audio version for that alone. But, I still did not listen to the whole book. I’d rather read the many songs than listen to Serkis or Rob Inglis ( the other audiobook edition) try to sing them. I understand why Serkis would give Treebeard a deep, very slow voice, but I didn’t think slowing Aragorn and Legolas added anything to the text.

I’m being unreasonably picky. I’m grateful that these new recordings brought me back to these books for yet another reread.

I want to be a hobbit in my next life. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 1, 2022 |
The little hobbit and his trusty companion make a terrible journey to the heart of the land of the Shadow in a final reckoning with the power of Sauron. Tells of the opposing strategies of the wizard Gandalf and the evil Sauron as Frodo amd Sam struggle to end the great darkness with the Ring of Power.
  MohicanChurch | Mar 5, 2022 |
The Lord of the Rings is undoubtedly one of the greatest fantasy epics of all time, but damn, does the last book in the trilogy always throw me… Obviously it is a necessary conclusion to the saga of the One Ring journeying back to Mordor and being destroyed, but I always find it a bit of a slog to get through. It’s far too much boys and battles, swords and suffering, before we actually get to the conclusion, which winds up feeling rather anticlimactic as Gollum/Smeagol wrestles with Frodo and falls into the fires of Mount Doom with the Ring clasped in his fist. There are a few bright moments of wonderful storytelling (Eowyn’s disguise, Merry and Pippin’s unexpected adventures, and the return to the Shire are some of my favourites), but the worldbuilding here felt a lot less exciting than in the previous two volumes and Tolkien’s language becomes so “inspired” by the sagas of old that it becomes archaic and loses some of its original flair. Even paired with Alan Lee’s paintings in this specific volume (which are lovely, if not as animated as others he’s done due to the setting of this storyarc), my opinion that this is my least favourite of the trilogy still stands. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 21, 2022 |
Nobody seems to have a moderate opinion: either, like myself, people find it a masterpiece of its genre or they cannot abide it . . . The demands made on the writer's powers in an epic as long as 'The Lord of the Rings' are enormous . . . but I can only say that Mr. Tolkien has proved equal to them.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began.
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists of Volume III, The Return of the King; please do not combine it with any other part(s) or with Tolkien's complete work, each of which have LT Works pages of their own.

CAUTION: It appears that most copies of the title O Senhor dos Anéis: O Retorno do Rei in Portuguese translation are the complete Volume III of "The Lord of the Rings," published in English as The Return of the King. However, a Brazilian edition of the same title reportedly includes only the second part (of two) of Volume III, roughly corresponding to Book Six of the larger Work, The End of the Third Age; see O Senhor dos Anéis. Please be mindful of the difference, and only combine records for Works having the same content. Thank you.

While the evil might of the Dark Lord Sauron swarmed out to conquer all Middle-earth, Frodo and Sam struggled deep into Mordor, seat of Sauron’s power. To defeat the Dark Lord, the accursed Ring of Power had to be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. But the way was impossibly hard, and Frodo was weakening. Weighed down by the compulsion of the Ring he began finally to despair.
Frodo destroys Ring/
Sauron gone forever more/
Carry on, dear Sam
(amaedel)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,219,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible