Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Presumed Innocent (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Scott Turow

2,746382,136 ()75
Member:katiekrug
Title:Presumed Innocent
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, American, legal thriller

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow (Author) (1987)

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Horrid. The worst book I have ever had to read for work. Apparently it is really hard for white males to learn to share power with others. Someone should tell Turow that perhaps he didn't make it as a novelist before he became a lawyer because he is a bad novelist. ( )
  librarianbryan | Dec 27, 2014 |
This legal thriller was Chicago lawyer Turow’s breakthrough novel. Rusty Sabich is a prosecuting attorney and has been a faithful husband for many years. But then he becomes obsessed with, and has a brief affair with, one of the deputies in his office, Carolyn. Months after she dumps him, Carolyn is found dead in her apartment. The scene looks like there was a break in and rape. Rusty is investigating the murder, until the evidence starts to point to him as the perpetrator. He tries to figure out who is framing him. His rival at work? A judge is was investigating, who was also a former lover of Carolyn? One of the many other former lovers he uncovers? There are lots of twists and turns, even after the case against Rusty is thrown out. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |
Kindle County's chief deputy prosecutor, Rusty Sabich, has recently been asked to investigate the murder of one of his colleagues, Carolyn Polhemus. The only thing that his boss, the chief prosecuting attorney, Raymond Horgan, doesn't know is that Carolyn and Rusty were having an affair at the time of her death. Since Prosecutor Horgan is in the midst of a vicious re-election campaign, his opponent - Nico Della Guardia would like nothing more than to find proof that Raymond Horgan is somehow unfit to be Kindle County's chief prosecutor.

As he nears forty, both Rusty's marriage and his career seem stalled; almost stagnant. His wife Barbara seems so uncaring and cold - actively avoiding Rusty as much as she can. Subsequently, he focuses all his attention and energies on his son Nathaniel, and his desperate, unhappy love for Carolyn. Rusty's investigation fuels his fantasies of what might have been between Carolyn and himself, although he makes very little progress in finding the killer.

Citing the slowness of the murder investigation, and using the fact that the Prosecutor apparently can't find the murderer of someone who worked in his office, Nico gains more popularity in the polls. Claiming that Kindle County deserves a change in its office, he handily wins the election. He then sets his sights on prosecuting Carolyn Polhemus' murderer - in the case of the People versus Rozat K. Sabich - who is known as the chief deputy prosecutor, Rusty Sabich.

Now, Rusty is put on trial, facing possible conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. This is a stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is not his wife, and the story of how his obsession ultimately endangers everything he loves and values - eventually putting everything on trial - including his own life.

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow reveals a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart. It's a story that will alternately hold you spellbound and will haunt you...long after you have turned the final page and reached its shattering conclusion.

I must say that this is actually the first book by Scott Turow that I've ever read, although I do have several more on my bookshelf. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I was absolutely dying to know how the story turned out. Although this was somewhat heavy reading for me in parts - with such a strong focus on politics and a very detailed look at the intricacies of the prosecutor's office - I still enjoyed the story immensely and give the book a definite A+!

I look forward to reading more by this author in the future. Mareena reminded me that I had actually received the book fairly recently, after we noticed that the 1990 movie adaptation starring Harrison Ford and Brian Dennehy was on television several days ago. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Sep 23, 2014 |
Scott Turow is the writer John Grisham wishes to be. While I was a little disappointed in the solution to the murder mystery at the center of Presumed Innocent, I was more engaged with the story telling.

Rusty Sabich, a prosecuting attorney for Kindle County, finds himself at the head of the investigation of the murder of his former co-worker and lover. Shortly after, Sabich finds himself off the case and at the center of the investigation.

Hiring a savvy lawyer and facing off against political enemies in the courtroom, Sabich faces the emotional turmoil of being prosecuted for something he knows he did not do, while watching dirty laundry and sordid secrets get their time in the spotlight. As with all legal thrillers, everything turns on evidence and lawyerly machinations both in front of the judge and behind the scenes.

What made Presumed Innocent work as a good story for me was the care with which Turow drew his characters, Especially the protagonist, Rusty Sabich, who narrates this tale. There is true depth, poignant search and revelations, told in a way that made me understand, and forgive, some of the trespasses flawed human beings commit.

Grisham can't hold a candle to Turow. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jun 27, 2014 |
This is the most well read novel I've ever listened to. The story is great, but Herrmann makes it even better. (Herrmann is an excellent actor who has been around for many years. He has been doing Chrysler commercials for the last few years.) With Herrmann's performance, you are not listening to one reader, but to several actors! Herrmann gives each person a distinct personality. His portrayal of the judge in this case is wonderful. At times the judge is hilarious. ( )
  cmaese | Mar 31, 2014 |

Turow, ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
This is how I always start: "I am the prosecutor."

Presumed Innocent brings to life our worst nightmare: that of an ordinary citizen facing conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. It's the stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is ot his wife, and the story of how his obsession puts everything he loves and values on trial -including his own life. It's a book that lays bare a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446359866, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow's #1 runaway bestseller comes to theaters everywhere as a major motion picture from Warner Bros., starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, and Bonnie Bedelia, directed by Alan Pakula, best known for his award-winning work in "Klute".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:39 -0400)

"In its portrayal of one man's ordeal, ... raises serious questions about our legal system, about its casual corruptions and inequities, about the public and private motivations which often determine matters of life and death."--Houston Post.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,692,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible