Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Presumed Innocent (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Scott Turow

Member:katiekrug
Title:Presumed Innocent
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, American, legal thriller

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow (1987)

Recently added bydspointer, mootzymom, antrat1965, jb082005, potvin, AnneHagan, private library, ncmike
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Personal lives are in thrown into turmoil as connections to a murder threaten careers and family relationships. Despite their differences, these two legal thrillers both contain masterfully crafted characterizations and dialogue as well as emotional depth.… (more)
    Beyond Suspicion by James Grippando (amyblue)

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
I picked this book up at Goodwill because it looked interesting. I wasn't disappointed. I found myself through out the whole book trying to figure out who would frame the Deputy PA Rusty Sabich. That is one thing I love about reading mysteries, trying to figure out who did it before I reach the end. I will say I kept speculating and that the final answer wasn't a total surprise. I was surprised but not like I would never have guessed. I thought it but just didn't want to believe it.

I loved all the characters in the book and yet I hated them at times. You have lawyers; both defense and prosecuting attorneys, cops, and judges. The personalities were interesting and fun to read. You have Carolyn Polhemus who has been murdered and worked in the PA's office. You have Rusty Sabich that has been charged with her murder. Just reading the beginning and all the evidence that keeps piling up makes you think did he do it, is he ever going to figure out that everything points to him. I sometimes felt that Rusty was surprised by all the evidence and just thinking it was coincidence for his prints to be in her apartment and other things.

I will definitely remember this book for awhile. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jun 11, 2015 |
Unintelligible. ( )
  ReneeGKC | May 6, 2015 |
3.5 stars
From page one I was drawn into this "who done it" and it kept me guessing all the way to the end. The characters were real and exceptionally well-written. Not your stereotypical crime novel.
The first part of the book contains the set-up and back ground of the crime. The narrator, Rusty Sabich, is deputy prosecutor and chief investigator of the murder of Carolyn Polemus, a presecutor on his staff. Rusty and Carolyn have been in a relationship that was ended by Carolyn. It is this fact that steers us to the crux of the entire second part of the book.
In part two, Rusty is indicted and tried for Carolyn's murder. It moves through the entire trial and opens up the world of politics in the justice system. It's a pretty thorough indictment of what goes on behind the scenes and not so behind the scenes. It's frustrating to the core.
I typically have a hard time with crime fiction because I find it too formulaic, or far-fetched, or the coincidences too easy, the characters too stereotypical, or the entire wrap up too neat and tidy. This one didn't play into any of that.
My favorite character actually ended up being Carolyn, the victim. There was a lot about her not to like but she was a strong female character, living in a man's world, and she was well-written. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 7, 2015 |
Horrid. The worst book I have ever had to read for work. Apparently it is really hard for white males to learn to share power with others. Someone should tell Turow that perhaps he didn't make it as a novelist before he became a lawyer because he is a bad novelist. ( )
  librarianbryan | Dec 27, 2014 |
This legal thriller was Chicago lawyer Turow’s breakthrough novel. Rusty Sabich is a prosecuting attorney and has been a faithful husband for many years. But then he becomes obsessed with, and has a brief affair with, one of the deputies in his office, Carolyn. Months after she dumps him, Carolyn is found dead in her apartment. The scene looks like there was a break in and rape. Rusty is investigating the murder, until the evidence starts to point to him as the perpetrator. He tries to figure out who is framing him. His rival at work? A judge is was investigating, who was also a former lover of Carolyn? One of the many other former lovers he uncovers? There are lots of twists and turns, even after the case against Rusty is thrown out. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |

Turow, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
This is how I always start: "I am the prosecutor."

Presumed Innocent brings to life our worst nightmare: that of an ordinary citizen facing conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. It's the stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is ot his wife, and the story of how his obsession puts everything he loves and values on trial -including his own life. It's a book that lays bare a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446359866, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow's #1 runaway bestseller comes to theaters everywhere as a major motion picture from Warner Bros., starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, and Bonnie Bedelia, directed by Alan Pakula, best known for his award-winning work in "Klute".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

"In its portrayal of one man's ordeal, ... raises serious questions about our legal system, about its casual corruptions and inequities, about the public and private motivations which often determine matters of life and death."--Houston Post.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,944,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible