Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Presumed Innocent (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Scott Turow

Member:katiekrug
Title:Presumed Innocent
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, American, legal thriller

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow (1987)

Recently added bysturlington, bethnv, WhatUsername, private library, dham340, jbenny57, ReneeGKC, WaylandAbernathy
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Personal lives are in thrown into turmoil as connections to a murder threaten careers and family relationships. Despite their differences, these two legal thrillers both contain masterfully crafted characterizations and dialogue as well as emotional depth.… (more)
    Beyond Suspicion by James Grippando (amyblue)

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
Unintelligible. ( )
  ReneeGKC | May 6, 2015 |
3.5 stars
From page one I was drawn into this "who done it" and it kept me guessing all the way to the end. The characters were real and exceptionally well-written. Not your stereotypical crime novel.
The first part of the book contains the set-up and back ground of the crime. The narrator, Rusty Sabich, is deputy prosecutor and chief investigator of the murder of Carolyn Polemus, a presecutor on his staff. Rusty and Carolyn have been in a relationship that was ended by Carolyn. It is this fact that steers us to the crux of the entire second part of the book.
In part two, Rusty is indicted and tried for Carolyn's murder. It moves through the entire trial and opens up the world of politics in the justice system. It's a pretty thorough indictment of what goes on behind the scenes and not so behind the scenes. It's frustrating to the core.
I typically have a hard time with crime fiction because I find it too formulaic, or far-fetched, or the coincidences too easy, the characters too stereotypical, or the entire wrap up too neat and tidy. This one didn't play into any of that.
My favorite character actually ended up being Carolyn, the victim. There was a lot about her not to like but she was a strong female character, living in a man's world, and she was well-written. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 7, 2015 |
Horrid. The worst book I have ever had to read for work. Apparently it is really hard for white males to learn to share power with others. Someone should tell Turow that perhaps he didn't make it as a novelist before he became a lawyer because he is a bad novelist. ( )
  librarianbryan | Dec 27, 2014 |
This legal thriller was Chicago lawyer Turow’s breakthrough novel. Rusty Sabich is a prosecuting attorney and has been a faithful husband for many years. But then he becomes obsessed with, and has a brief affair with, one of the deputies in his office, Carolyn. Months after she dumps him, Carolyn is found dead in her apartment. The scene looks like there was a break in and rape. Rusty is investigating the murder, until the evidence starts to point to him as the perpetrator. He tries to figure out who is framing him. His rival at work? A judge is was investigating, who was also a former lover of Carolyn? One of the many other former lovers he uncovers? There are lots of twists and turns, even after the case against Rusty is thrown out. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |
Kindle County's chief deputy prosecutor, Rusty Sabich, has recently been asked to investigate the murder of one of his colleagues, Carolyn Polhemus. The only thing that his boss, the chief prosecuting attorney, Raymond Horgan, doesn't know is that Carolyn and Rusty were having an affair at the time of her death. Since Prosecutor Horgan is in the midst of a vicious re-election campaign, his opponent - Nico Della Guardia would like nothing more than to find proof that Raymond Horgan is somehow unfit to be Kindle County's chief prosecutor.

As he nears forty, both Rusty's marriage and his career seem stalled; almost stagnant. His wife Barbara seems so uncaring and cold - actively avoiding Rusty as much as she can. Subsequently, he focuses all his attention and energies on his son Nathaniel, and his desperate, unhappy love for Carolyn. Rusty's investigation fuels his fantasies of what might have been between Carolyn and himself, although he makes very little progress in finding the killer.

Citing the slowness of the murder investigation, and using the fact that the Prosecutor apparently can't find the murderer of someone who worked in his office, Nico gains more popularity in the polls. Claiming that Kindle County deserves a change in its office, he handily wins the election. He then sets his sights on prosecuting Carolyn Polhemus' murderer - in the case of the People versus Rozat K. Sabich - who is known as the chief deputy prosecutor, Rusty Sabich.

Now, Rusty is put on trial, facing possible conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. This is a stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is not his wife, and the story of how his obsession ultimately endangers everything he loves and values - eventually putting everything on trial - including his own life.

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow reveals a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart. It's a story that will alternately hold you spellbound and will haunt you...long after you have turned the final page and reached its shattering conclusion.

I must say that this is actually the first book by Scott Turow that I've ever read, although I do have several more on my bookshelf. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I was absolutely dying to know how the story turned out. Although this was somewhat heavy reading for me in parts - with such a strong focus on politics and a very detailed look at the intricacies of the prosecutor's office - I still enjoyed the story immensely and give the book a definite A+!

I look forward to reading more by this author in the future. Mareena reminded me that I had actually received the book fairly recently, after we noticed that the 1990 movie adaptation starring Harrison Ford and Brian Dennehy was on television several days ago. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Sep 23, 2014 |

Turow, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
This is how I always start: "I am the prosecutor."

Presumed Innocent brings to life our worst nightmare: that of an ordinary citizen facing conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. It's the stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is ot his wife, and the story of how his obsession puts everything he loves and values on trial -including his own life. It's a book that lays bare a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446359866, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow's #1 runaway bestseller comes to theaters everywhere as a major motion picture from Warner Bros., starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, and Bonnie Bedelia, directed by Alan Pakula, best known for his award-winning work in "Klute".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:39 -0400)

"In its portrayal of one man's ordeal, ... raises serious questions about our legal system, about its casual corruptions and inequities, about the public and private motivations which often determine matters of life and death."--Houston Post.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible