Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Presumed Innocent (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Scott Turow

Member:katiekrug
Title:Presumed Innocent
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, American, legal thriller

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow (1987)

Defending Jacob by William Landay (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Personal lives are in thrown into turmoil as connections to a murder threaten careers and family relationships. Despite their differences, these two legal thrillers both contain masterfully crafted characterizations and dialogue as well as emotional depth.… (more)
    Beyond Suspicion by James Grippando (amyblue)

English (44)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (46)
Masterful collection of complex characters makes this a great story to get inside. Rusty's inner dialogue throughout is revealing and thought provoking.

The long and winding journey of the story is monument to "can't put this down" and engaging the reader to the very last page. Scott Turow is truely gifted!

End of an era language: "herd of station wagons in the parking lot" by the late 1980's this was quickly transitioning to mini-vans and on to SUV's in the 90's. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Just read this book for book club though I'd seen the movie years ago when it first came out on VHS. I liked it. Better than the movie. A bit slower paced than a John Grisham novel, but that's a good thing sometimes...I like to have to think once in a while. :-) ( )
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |
good mystery, lawyer, PA Rusty accused killikng other PA Carolyn

Rusty Sabich is chief deputy prosecuting attorney in a large mid-western city. His boss is in the midst of a bitter campaign for re-election. A fellow prosecuting attorney, Carolyn Polhemus, has been brutally murdered. Rusty is handling the investigation-- and he needs results.

Before election day.

Before his illicit affair with Carolyn is uncovered.

Election day brings a new prosecuting attorney into office. A political enemy who wants Rusty out. A man whose own secret investigation has revealed Rusty's relationship with Carolyn. A man who takes Rusty off the case-- and charges him with murder. Rusty now faces a long battle in court. Each side will twist the evidence to win its case, and try any procedural ploy, any courtroom trick that might ensure victory. Rusty's ordeal will uncover corruption, deceit, depravity and incompetence-- and keep you spellbound. Who did kill Carolyn Polhemus?
  christinejoseph | Sep 14, 2015 |
I read it so long ago I can't remember what decade it was. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I picked this book up at Goodwill because it looked interesting. I wasn't disappointed. I found myself through out the whole book trying to figure out who would frame the Deputy PA Rusty Sabich. That is one thing I love about reading mysteries, trying to figure out who did it before I reach the end. I will say I kept speculating and that the final answer wasn't a total surprise. I was surprised but not like I would never have guessed. I thought it but just didn't want to believe it.

I loved all the characters in the book and yet I hated them at times. You have lawyers; both defense and prosecuting attorneys, cops, and judges. The personalities were interesting and fun to read. You have Carolyn Polhemus who has been murdered and worked in the PA's office. You have Rusty Sabich that has been charged with her murder. Just reading the beginning and all the evidence that keeps piling up makes you think did he do it, is he ever going to figure out that everything points to him. I sometimes felt that Rusty was surprised by all the evidence and just thinking it was coincidence for his prints to be in her apartment and other things.

I will definitely remember this book for awhile. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jun 11, 2015 |

Turow, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
This is how I always start: "I am the prosecutor."

Presumed Innocent brings to life our worst nightmare: that of an ordinary citizen facing conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. It's the stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is ot his wife, and the story of how his obsession puts everything he loves and values on trial -including his own life. It's a book that lays bare a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446359866, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow's #1 runaway bestseller comes to theaters everywhere as a major motion picture from Warner Bros., starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, and Bonnie Bedelia, directed by Alan Pakula, best known for his award-winning work in "Klute".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

"In its portrayal of one man's ordeal, ... raises serious questions about our legal system, about its casual corruptions and inequities, about the public and private motivations which often determine matters of life and death."--Houston Post.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible