The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 1986)

by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)

71,9879668 (4.27)6 / 2058
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Member:baugherjl
Title:The Hobbit
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1986), Edition: Revised, 320 pages

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit {graphic novel} by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)

English (901)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (9)  French (7)  Finnish (7)  German (7)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Serbian (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (965)
Membosankan ( )
  Titut | Feb 10, 2020 |
Bored. Me. To death. Stop walking, start doing something. ( )
  4Veritas | Jan 23, 2020 |
I didn't like the book. I probably would have liked it if I read it when I was 10 and, considering when it was published, it was kind of original. However I've read much better books of the same genre, that were probably influenced by Tolkien which is the only reason I gave it 2/5 stars.

I know many of you will disagree but no matter how incredible Tolkien's worldbuilding is, his way of writting seems to me over-descriptive and borring. ( )
1 vote Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
I can finally count myself amongst the number of those who have read the epic and magical story that is The Hobbit. Bilbo Baggins is simply doing what any respectable hobbit of the Shire would do, enjoying breakfast and then smoking his pipe on his porch before it is time for second breakfast when a wizard comes to call upon him. Gandalf speaks with the hobbit of dwarves and dragons and adventure which Mr. Baggins as a respectable hobbit prefers not to have any part of, thank you very much. Though once Mr. Baggins retires back into the comfort of his hobbit hole in the side of the hill, Gandalf the wizard scratches a symbol into the bottom of the hobbits door and, like it or not, adventure is exactly what is now in store for Mr. Baggins. The following day the dwarves (12 in all) begin to show up at Mr. Baggins once comfy and quiet little hobbit hole, as lead by the symbol that Gandalf had carved into the door, and so the epic adventure of one little hobbit on the path to do great and extraordinary things begins. Now that I have finally read this amazing book I can suggest this wonderful story to anyone will to enjoy a good adventure...and with that I now happily continue the adventure with The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jan 5, 2020 |
I now have 3 different editions of The Hobbit. The first is the standard edition of it, the second is an excellent illustrated one, and finally, I have an audiobook version of it which I finally finished. The narrator was fantastic and it was really nice to actually hear Tolkien's songs rather than just reading them as poetry. There's still parts of the book I have problems with (most notably the beginning with Gandalf and Bilbo's unexpected guests), but the rest of the book more than makes up for it.

The problems I have with the book are in the way Gandalf has the dwarves show up without any warning to Bilbo and he's just expected to handle it. Also, I'm not a fan of the "The Thief in the Night" chapter where Bilbo steals the Arkenstone in an attempt to prevent fighting. I understand that it's necessary for the plot to for them to get it, but I wish it was done differently. The Beorn Ex Machina solution for the resolution of the fighting was a bit much, but he kind of wrote himself into a corner.

For fans of The Hobbit, I highly recommend that they give both the Michael Hague illustrated one a try as well as the audiobook as read by Rob Inglis. The audiobook definitely adds to the experience of the book.
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

J. R. R. Tolkienprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible