The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 2002)

by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude)

75,52610038 (4.27)6 / 2072
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Member:Azrael4u2
Title:The Hobbit
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2002), Edition: Young Reader ed., 320 pages
Rating:***

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)

English (936)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (9)  German (7)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Serbian (1)  All languages (1,001)
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: The Hobbit

Bilbo Baggins was content to stay in the Shire, living his days out in his hobbit hole. But when Gandalf the wizard visits the Shire and Bilbo invites him to tea, the hobbit’s life changes forever. Thirteen dwarves show up on his doorstep with Gandalf, speaking of an adventure to reclaim their family’s mountain and gold from the dragon Smaug. The itch to travel and experience life outside the Shire overcomes Bilbo, and he starts his journey to help the dwarves reclaim what was lost.

When you begin reading The Hobbit, don’t expect the flashy drawn out fight scenes and plot twists you’ll see in modern day fantasy. Written in 1937, the style of writing is vastly different but has aged well over the years. There is a wide cast of characters, but Tolkien makes sure they all stay in the reader’s view and keeps the story steadily moving forward. While the characters will have mishaps and battles, the details are oftentimes summarized making the scenes appropriate for a younger crowd while still maintaining enough for the older.

Following along with Bilbo was like walking among friends. The way the narrator talks about the hobbit and his companions is with familiarity and respect for their choices. Often Bilbo has to think outside of the box, and instead of rushing into situations, he tries to talk through them and keep open communication instead of resorting to fighting. I wish this style of confrontation made into more modern day fantasy.

Listening to The Hobbit on audiobook enhanced the experience for me. Rob Inglis did a wonderful job voicing the characters and bringing to life the songs I most likely would have skipped over if I were reading the print version. And his version of Gollum was phenomenal! If you haven’t had the chance to read, or listen to, The Hobbit I highly recommend it. This is one of the only classics I have enjoyed. ( )
  Letora | Oct 20, 2020 |
Not having read anything by Tolkien (but having watched "The Lord of the Rings" movies), I found myself greatly impressed by the book. He does a great job of describing the characters and the journey to the land they are trying to reach, that I had no problem picturing it all in my mind.

Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who was quite content in his little part of the world. Until the wizard Gandalf comes to him with a group of dwarves and draws him in to coming with them in the quest to confront the great dragon Smaug, and recover a land once theirs. The will face all kinds of evil, savage wolves, giant spiders, and goblins, to name a few. Bilbo was a great character and although he wasn't very happy with this journey, he became the hero of it many times. It truly was a great fantasy story and one I am glad to have taken the time to read. ( )
  judyg54 | Oct 5, 2020 |
What more could you want? It's got goblins and Gollum and Wargs and lecherous spiders and mischievous elves and a dragon named Smaug. Not to mention eagles, dwarves, a wizard, a man/bear, and an ingenious hobbit! It's a sweeping journey that absorbed me completely, and that I didn't want to end! I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  kimberlyrivera1473 | Sep 23, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,668,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible