The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again (Lord of…

The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again (Lord of the Rings) (original 1937; edition 2012)

by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude)

78,68010508 (4.27)6 / 2130
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Member:winterbadger
Title:The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again (Lord of the Rings)
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2012), 322 pages
Collections:Read in 2021, E-books, fiction, Your library, Favorites

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

Robin (1)
1930s (13)

English (977)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (9)  German (8)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Serbian (1)  All languages (1,044)
Nice enough fairy tale...not a single female character....the Hobbit is very likable.... ( )
  SarahKDunsbee | Aug 2, 2021 |
A magical journey with the hobbit. ( )
  nitins | Jul 28, 2021 |
This book has always had a soft spot in my heart. The movies (the Rankin/Bass animated movie and Peter Jackson's 3-part live action adaptation) also hold a special place in my heart.
JRR Tolkien's world is an amazing creation and incredibly magical. I read this once before a couple of years ago (I think it was before I had Goodreads), so it was about time I read it again. I absolutely love this story, and for me, Bilbo is 1000% relatable. However, I can understand why people may not like/love it as much as I do.
I really wanted to read The Lord of the Rings trilogy in 2020, but with only around 1-2 weeks left, I've decided to not pressure myself into doing that. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
“The Hobbit” follows fifteen (sometimes more, often less) characters on a quest for treasure and revenge. The book is told mostly from Bilbo’s perspective and sometimes the perspective of an unknown narrator (which I think is actually Gandalf). As a reader I found it both wonderful and frustrating to read from such a limited perspective. However, the limited perspective did allow me to better experience the character growth and the true tole of an adventure.

As I read I was sometimes frustrated because I wished to know what the other characters were doing and thinking. However, the frustration I felt made me feel more connected to Bilbo as he was also frustrated at not knowing what was happening with everyone else and always worrying over what the others thought of him. He was the outsider giving a space at the table and he hated it. However, the limited perspective also allowed my mind to wonder. Normally getting distracted while reading is seen as negative but I disagree with that idea. Sometimes your mind just needs to wonder and explore the possibilities of the world and the characters in the pages. I feel this is especially true for “The Hobbit”, because Bilbo is a pessimist and his thoughts can get quite dark. I doubt I would have like the book as much as I did if I had just accepted whatever ideas and opinions Bilbo had. I greatly enjoyed hearing his opinions of his companions and how it showed they changed as did Bilbo.

The characters go through so much during their journey and it changes them and their relationships with one another. In the beginning everyone doubted Bilbo and his worth to the quest, they thought he was small and too stuck up to be of any use to them. Bilbo thought that he was going on an adventure with people who were experienced adventurers. They were all wrong. Throughout the adventure Bilbo proved his worth and how capable he was several times over even though he made some questionable decisions. And the adventuring party was made up of people who seemed to know what they were doing. However, none of them grasped the true difficulty of their task even the characters with experience, age, and wisdom were stupidly optimistic (I’m not counting Gandalf because he knows too much and wasn’t planning on finishing the adventure with them). However, regardless of their optimism and ignorance they still go and they grow closer to one another. They become a true team by the end, relying on each other and sharing a strong trust that would’ve been impossible in the beginning (which makes the end of the book hurt more). **Spoiler** Their success was pure dumb luck.**
Overall “The Hobbit” wasn’t something I consider a satisfying read, I think its because I wanted more, but that’s part of the reason I love the book. It didn’t leave me wanting more of the story as the end had been good and all the loose ends were tied up. It left me craving adventures that just don’t exist in the real world. The limited perspective allowed me to feel like I had been a part of the adventure and you can never have just one adventure. In short -like any good adventure “The Hobbit” left me craving more adventures. ( )
  EllielElf | Jul 19, 2021 |
I read this in junior high (40 years ago!) and remember liking it, except for the songs. When I revisited the book, I realized it really was written for younger readers, and it seemed a little childish to me. And, I still found myself skipping the songs. This is probably the first book I've ever read in which I liked the movie (Peter Jackson's version) better than the book. ( )
  nmorandi | Jul 16, 2021 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,669,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible