The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 2002)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude), Middle-earth (2)

85,35811348 (4.27)7 / 2206
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Member:Chuck_ep
Title:The Hobbit
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin, Paperback, 366 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Seamus Heaney (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (12)
Robin (1)

English (1,047)  Spanish (19)  German (9)  Dutch (9)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Serbian (1)  All languages (1,118)
One of my all time favorites. I've read it at least 5 times since I discovered it about 1970. Wonderful story and characters. Good prequel to the Lord of the Rings. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
I read far and wide across all genres but my first and truest love has always been fantasy. A good fantasy story takes you on an adventure. There's often a quest, magic, undiscovered abilities, friends, enemies and action - all of this makes a great fantasy story.

The Hobbit has all that and more. It is the epitome of the perfect fantasy tale. The kind you want to sit around a campfire and hear told with dramatic exaggeration. It has a dragon and dwarves, a wizard and one lone hobbit who turns out to be the bravest of them all.

Fantasy is not for everyone, but most importantly there's levels to it. This is a classic fantasy with elements of high fantasy. High fantasy has excessive world building - maps, extra tales, extensive histories of people and places - not all of it may be included but a lot of it is. The most obvious example is of course, The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is a classic fantasy with elements of high fantasy - Tolkien has created the world building but much of it doesn't come into play in this book. The Hobbit is just a taste of the world retold as one would a folk or fairy tale.

That said, if you don't like The Hobbit, don't even bother with Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is just a long drawn out, denser version. If you don't like the base elements of The Hobbit, you're going to hate Lord of the Rings. My mum definitely did.

I love Bilbo. His zest for life and adventure is hilarious - mainly because he has it but it's tinged with a lot of reluctance. To be fair, he also gets thrown into a deep end - he has no idea how or when or why this adventure came to be until he's being kicked out of his house without his pocket-handkerchief. He really comes into his own though throughout, finding his bravery and nerve and that he is capable of a lot more than he gives himself credit for. Although I do feel sorry for him, he takes a hell of a lot of hits to the head.

And of course we get the first look at Gollum and find how Bilbo comes to possess the ring. I like the dwarves but it would be nicer if they were truer friends - they have a bad tendency to hesitate or leave Bilbo to his own devices much too often. I loved Bard and I loved how Bilbo resolves the tensions at the end. The dragon seeks revenge on the Lake-Men for helping the dwarves and the hobbit with their supplies. Bard manages to kill the dragon with an arrow but many are dead and they want justice for the deaths they have suffered. Thorin (the King of the Mountains) refuses to share the treasure but he does prize the Arkenstone of Thrain above all. Bilbo finds it and hands it off to the Elves and the Lake-Men to bargain with when.

5 stars. It's a classic. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
A lovely, whimsical story packs a stronger message that you think it will. A total classic and one of my favorite books of all time. ( )
  Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
Wikipedia

Though dated in the style of writing and a tad too sing-song-like, I still love this book. As it was written, it definitely has more of a fairytale like tone, when compared to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. But it has its own charm and appeal that I love. The sense of adventure is good, and the stakes are toned down to make it feel more carefree and light-hearted. I believe I first read this in 8th grade. Peter Jackson’s film really captures this story pretty well throughout. Including the more child-like portrayal of the characters, monologues and general life in the story.

Azog, as a villain, was added into the films to create more content. But he was mentioned in the book. The same can be said about the Necromancer/Sauron. ( )
  TheZacHill | Nov 22, 2022 |
Such a classic read! I enjoyed reading the original tale of The Hobbit and comparing it to the movie version. I do say that although it took me a while, it was worth it. ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

J. R. R. Tolkienprimary authorall editionscalculated

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes:
  • Volume 1: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book I, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book II, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume 2: The Two Towers, consisting of Book III, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book IV, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume 3: The Return of the King, consisting of Book V, "The War of the Ring," and Book VI, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit, a prelude to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,423,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible