The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 2002)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude), Middle-earth (2)

83,63011068 (4.27)7 / 2194
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Member:dresdon
Title:The Hobbit
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Houghton Mifflin, Paperback, 366 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (12)
Robin (1)

English (1,024)  Spanish (19)  German (9)  Dutch (9)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Serbian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (1,094)
I'm actually not sure how many times I've read this, but it's too many times for me. I just read it for class and did not enjoy the experience. It will be fun to teach, though.

I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted my old review from 2012 where I was mad that the people of Laketown destroy their bridges to thwart a dragon who flies. Dragons don't need nor use bridges. Still mad about it ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
i read this for the first time in 7th grade because i had to, which was something i was not unhappy about. we had to make some sort of combined art and writing project related to it somehow, so i made a travel agent's brochure, "come visit lonely mountain!" i loved this book, and now that i think about it, i may have read it a second time immediately after the first.

i also really loved it because i had a friend named dwalin who was named after one of the dwarves. it was almost like reading about the adventures of my friend! ok, not really, but it was still exciting.

i tried to read the lord of the rings next and could not get past the prologue, "concerning hobbits." oh the massive amount of what seemed like unnecessary detail! so i had to wait until much much later to be that kind of nerd, but when i finally was able i fell completely in love with the lord of the rings. that detail was suddenly what made the story great, and the wholeness of the characters, and the completeness of the world, though i still get a little bored with all that talk about the origins of pipeweed.

so i didn't see the need to read this again for a long time, but recently i have become curious. i was surprised at how much i remembered while still forgetting whole characters, like Beorn; maybe because i also loved the rankin-bass cartoon when i was little, and he does not make an appearance there. (i will say that the cartoon contains the scariest gollum ever -- sorry, andy serkus, but you don't hold a candle to a shaky, green, 35-year-old drawing.)

but what really struck me was the absurdity of the whole premise: "Dragons steal gold and jewels, you know, from men and elves and dwarves, whenever they can find them; and they guard their plunder as long as they live ... and never enjoy a brass ring of it." i don't read much fantasy, so is this a trope of the genre? or does it sound as ridiculous to others as it does to me? that whole "you know" in the middle sounds like a desperate attempt to pass off this idea. unfortunately, this line jumped out and punched me in the face and i couldn't get past it the whole rest of the book, not to mention that the very next sentence pointedly mentions that dragons don't know how to make things, or fix things, and they often let them fall apart, leaving vulnerable areas. big ol' flashing foreshadowing sign without much subtlety.

in addition, the dwarves were mostly total jerks, the elves seemed no different from the men, bilbo's solution to the growing tensions near the end is kinda fucked up, and then there's this: "Amid shrieks and wailing and the shouts of men he came over them, swept towards the bridges and was foiled! The bridge was gone, and his enemies were on an island in deep water -- too deep and dark and cool for his liking ..." Why does a dragon who can fly need a bridge? i'm seriously asking. this is driving me crazy.

a friend of mine pointed out that the hobbit was written for children, which i tend to forget, and i don't mean to tear down a classic; but i have this vision of tolkien as an impeccable writer who created a concrete world, and i am having trouble reconciling this book with the others. it seems sloppy, and that's thrown me a bit and made me a little overly whiny. but new recruits to a cause usually uphold that cause most vociferously, and i am no exception.

give me another 20 years and maybe i'll have a different take on it then.

J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Not a lot to say about The Hobbit. Except of course I love it and what's not to love? I've read it many times. I've also read it out loud to my sons and it's a great book for reading out loud and sharing. It never looses its appeal no matter how many times I read it. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I love The Hobbit so much. ( )
  AceVonS | Jul 14, 2022 |
It's been much too long since I've reread The Hobbit. It's interesting rereading it after I've more fantasy than I had then. On the one hand, this story is a pretty simple hero's journey in an (as of this book) underdeveloped fantasy world. On the other hand, it's such a straight up satisfying story. Also, food scenes. Why is it that the English, not known for their food, are so great at food scenes? I had to go get a snack more than once on this reread. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes:
  • Volume 1: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book I, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book II, "The Ring Goes South";
  • Volume 2: The Two Towers, consisting of Book III, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book IV, "The Ring Goes East"; and
  • Volume 3: The Return of the King, consisting of Book V, "The War of the Ring," and Book VI, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit, a prelude to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,103,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible