On the Road (Penguin Great Books of the 20th…

On the Road (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century) (original 1957; edition 1999)

by Jack Kerouac

On the Road chronicles Jack Kerouac's years traveling the North American continent with his friend Neal Cassady, "a sideburned hero of the snowy West." As "Sal Paradise" and "Dean Moriarty," the two roam the country in a quest for self-knowledge and experience. Kerouac's love of America, his compassion for humanity, and his sense of language as jazz combine to make On the Road an inspirational work of lasting importance.… (more)
Member:ambientguitar
Title:On the Road (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century)
Authors:Jack Kerouac
Info:Penguin Books (1999), Edition: 1, Paperback, 304 pages

Work Information

On the Road by Jack Kerouac (Author) (1957)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (MyriadBooks)
    On the Road : The Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: If you still have the choice, do not pick up the originally-published edition and instead go for the Original Scroll. This should be on its way to replacing just plain ol' On the Road as the primo Kerouac (and even Beat) text for the adventurous romantics to become enamored with. More rhythm, more life, more of that depressing truth that filled Kerouac's subsequent work. It's a much stronger book.… (more)
    Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg by Carolyn Cassady (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interesting behind-the-scenes look, and also something of an counterpoint to the tendency of over-romanticizing Jack and the gang that we, or at least I, are sometimes guiltily of. If you're a Beat-geek you can't really ignore this one.
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (thiagobomfim)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig (hippietrail)
    The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (soulster)
    Cigarett : roman by Per Hagman (Sawengo)
    Go by John Clellon Holmes (gbill)
    Théorie du voyage : Poétique de la géographie by Michel Onfray (askthedust)
    The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño (hippietrail)
    Tredje stenen från solen : roman by Claes Holmström (Sawengo)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (CGlanovsky)
    Big Sur by Jack Kerouac (John_Vaughan)
    One and Only: The Untold Story of On the Road by Gerald Nicosia (mrkay)
    Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (caflores)
    caflores: Gente que busca y no sabe qué.
    The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West (hippietrail)
    Ye Ole Fiendly Towne and Other Whittier Zombie Haikus: Whittier is suddenly scoured with zombies! And just where is Doobie McDonald during these mayhaps...BAY-beh!? by Doobie McDonald (privycouncilpress)
    privycouncilpress: A road trip film symbolizing the mindtrip your soul will have while reading 'Ye Ole Fiendly Towne and Other Whittier Zombie Haikus"
1950s (13)
Read (92)
Books (23)
Read (16)
Beat (10)
1960s (264)

English (327)  Italian (8)  French (7)  Spanish (4)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (357)
The reason this will always be a classic is that the story is a universal American experience and desire to take to the open road. This book played an important part of my life. ( )
  John_Hughel | Jun 27, 2022 |
First read this in the late 50s when in my late teens. It had a great impact, showing me an alternate, exciting lifestyle. I've reread it a couple of times but don't think it holds up that well. It probably needs to be read when one is young. ( )
  BertH | Mar 27, 2022 |
Jack Kerouac scrittore (1922 -1969). Uno scrittore a ritmo di jazz «La vita non è altro che un breve e vago sogno avvolto in carne e lacrime», parola di Jack Kerouac. Scapestrato, vagabondo, malinconico per natura, sempre in preda a pensieri cupi, tetri, Kerouac è l’autore del libro leggenda “Sulla Strada”, nato in sole tre settimane nel 1951. Si dice che, durante la stesura, Jack battesse furiosamente sui tasti della macchina da scrivere, strafatto di anfetamine, realizzando il romanzo su un unico foglio lungo 36 metri, un rotolo, come venne definito, e anche che scrivesse di getto, senza revisioni, come nel jazz. Un’improvvisazione che in realtà era frutto di un metodo di scrittura disciplinato e puntuale: Kerouac aveva effettivamente viaggiato da una costa all’altra dell’America, insieme all’amico Neal Cassady, per quattro anni e aveva appuntato tutto, ogni singola sensazione, ogni fatto, ogni pensiero. La sua confessione, fatta di sesso, alcol, droghe e locali jazz, solo in apparenza è un inno all’opposizione alle regole: essa rappresenta il manifesto di quel movimento culturale, la Beat Generation, che contesta lo stile di vita borghese e il capitalismo americani. L’esaltazione della «ricerca di qualcosa», come lo stesso Kerouac dice, ha come motore libertà e introspezione. E per questo, forse, diviene il livre de chevet dei ragazzi di tutto il mondo. Ha indicato una strada e in molti l’hanno seguito. Sfortunatamente … Ne valeva la pena? ...
  AntonioGallo | Mar 15, 2022 |
Read this because it was a 'classic' that influenced a generation. It probably did but that was 50 years ago. It was OK but took me a couple of holidays to get through. Don't like the characters much - too self absorbed.
Guess the professors in the US in the 60s were contemporararies so felt drawn to the feelings in the book. ( )
  Sandman-1961 | Mar 6, 2022 |
  brthrst | Feb 13, 2022 |
The wonder of Kerouac’s muscular, free-form, imagistic language still astonishes. He remains an essential American mythologiser – one caught up in that backstreet world of bohemian life, before it was transformed by the harsh social Darwinism of capitalism. The title of his one towering achievement became a turn of phrase that went global, and his name became an adjective. That strikes me as not a bad legacy for a boy from the mean streets of post-industrial New England. A hundred years after his birth, we still want to live that Kerouacian vision of life as one long cool stretch of highway.

El Sal Paradise de todas las ediciones conocidas de esta novela mítica es aquí, al fin, Kerouac. Y también Cassady, Ginsberg y Burroughs aparecen con sus verdaderos nombres. Con la publicación del rollo original, la gesta viajera y existencial de En la carretera se vuelve autobiográfica de pleno derecho y a plena luz del día, sin censura alguna. Y el relato adquiere toda su potencia narrativa. El lector tiene en sus manos una suerte de manifiesto de la beat generation. Seguimos a Kerouac y a toda la cáfila que desfila por estas páginas en toda su desnudez y penuria. Precursores del movimiento hippy y la contracultura de finales de los años sesenta, los personajes de esta novela pululan sin rumbo por Norteamérica. La sed vital insatisfecha, la búsqueda de horizontes de sentido, de dicha y de conocimiento y los atisbos místicos se estrellan contra una realidad inhóspita y desesperanzada. Un vívido compendio de los grandes temas, y al tiempo una apasionante aventura humana y una metáfora de la existencia. «El rollo original de On the Road es una de las más veneradas y enigmáticas reliquias de la literatura moderna... Un texto fascinante» (James Campbell, The Times Literary Supplement).
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pivano, FernandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sauter, PeeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up.
". . . and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"
In the window I smelled all the food of San Francisco.   There were seafood places out there where the buns were hot, and the baskets were good enough to eat too; where the menus themselves were soft with foody esculence as though dipped in hot broths roasted dry and good enough to eat too.  Just show me the bluefish spangle on a seafood menu, and I'd eat it; let me smell the butter and lobster claws.  There were places where hamburgers sizzled on grills and the coffee was only a nickel.  And oh, that pan fried chow mein flavored air that blew into my room from Chinatown, vying with the spaghetti sauces of North Beach, the soft-shell crab of Fisherman's Wharf- nay, the ribs of Fillmore turning on spits! Throw in the Market street chili beans, red-hot, and french-fried potatoes of the Embarcadero wino night, and steamed clams from Sausalito across the bay, and that's ah-dream of San Francisco.  Add fog, hunger making, raw fog, and the throb of neons in the soft night, the clack of high heeled beauties, white doves in a Chinese grocery window.
Great beautiful clouds floated overhead, valley clouds that made you feel the vastness of old tumbledown holy America from mouth to mouth and tip to tip.
'You have absolutely no regard for anybody but yourself and your damned kicks. All you think about is what's hanging between your legs and how much money or fun you can get out of people and then you just throw them aside. Not only that but you're silly about it. It never occurs to you that life is serious and there are people trying to make something decent out of it instead of just goofing all the time.'
Every one of these things I said was a knife at myself. Everything I had ever secretly held against my brother was coming out: how ugly I was and what filth I was discovering in the depths of my own impure psychologies.
Do not combine with On the Road: The Original Scroll

Sal Paradise, un giovane newyorkese con ambizioni letterarie, incontra Dean Moriarty, un ragazzo dell'Ovest. Uscito dal riformatorio, Dean comincia a girovagare sfidando le regole della vita borghese, sempre alla ricerca di esperienze intense. Dean decide di ripartire per l'Ovest e Sal lo raggiunge; è il primo di una serie di viaggi che imprimono una dimensione nuova alla vita di Sal. La fuga continua di Dean ha in sé una caratteristica eroica, Sal non può fare a meno di ammirarlo, anche quando febbricitante, a Città del Messico, viene abbandonato dall'amico, che torna negli Stati Uniti.
(piopas)

Legacy Library: Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Jack Kerouac's legacy profile.

See Jack Kerouac's author page.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182679, 0140265007, 0141037482, 0241951534, 0141198206

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,933,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible