A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman

A Study in Emerald (2003)

by Neil Gaiman

1578110,008 (4.4)1 / 25

This was a very interesting, rather dark take on the classic Sherlock Holmes stories. I haven't read any Lovecraft, so I can only say, the Sherlock Holmes-esque part of the story was great. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
Sherlock Cthulhu is a very Gaimanishly Gothic mix. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
A Sherlock Holmes story set in an alternative timeline where the Great Old Ones (cf Lovecraft) returned in the Middle Ages and have ruled the world ever since, despite the best efforts of the Restorationists who want to put mankind's destiny back in its own hands.

I would undoubtedly have appreciated it more if I'd been more into Holmesiana, but I liked it well enough as it is. Definitely worth trying if you're into both Doyle and Lovecraft.
  AndreasJ | Mar 22, 2017 |
Sherlock and Cthulhu... COME ON!!! ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Neil Gaiman’s Sherlock Holmes pastiche and Cthulhu mythos mashup is certainly weird, but I am not so sure about wonderful. It is available as a free PDF download so there is no reason not to give it a shot. The PDF file is cleverly formatted to look like a Victorian newspaper with amusing ads placed by Victor Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and other Victorian SF characters. Gaiman is doing a sort of literary sleight of hand here, leading the reader up the garden path. Set in an alternate Victorian England where mankind (or may be just the British?) has been subjugated by the Great Old Ones for centuries. Nothing and nobody is what they seem and he only shows his hands by the end of the story.

It is an interesting and imaginative story but not really as much fun as I was expecting. The Cthulhu side of it is not at all scary though there are some creepy descriptions (the same could be said for most of Lovecraft’s stories I think). I don’t think that this is Gaiman at his best, and I wonder how it won the Hugo Award in 2004. As always this is just my opinion and as the story is available for free download I would not discourage anybody from reading it. Certainly it is not bad. Neil Gaiman does not do “bad”. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Fresh from their stupendous European tour, where they performed before several of the CROWNED HEADS OF EUROPE, garnering their plaudits and praise with magnificent dramatic performances, combining both COMEDY and TRAGEDY, the Strand Players wish to make it known that they shall be appearing at the Royal Court Theatre, Drury Lane, for a LIMITED ENGAGEMENT in April, at which they will present "My Look-Alike Brother Tom!" "The Littlest Violet-Seller" and "The Great Old Ones Come," (this last an Historical Epic of pageantry and delight); each an entire play in one act!
It is the immensity, I believe. The hugeness of things below. The darkness of dreams.

Alluding to both the Sherlock Holmes canon and the Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos, this Hugo Award-winning short story will delight fans of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H. P. Lovecraft, and of course, Neil Gaiman. A Study in Emerald draws listeners in through carefully revealed details as a consulting detective and his narrator friend solve the mystery of a murdered German noble. But with its subtle allusions and surprise ending, this mystery hints that the real fun in solving this case lies in imagining all the details that Gaiman doesn't reveal, and challenges listeners to be detectives themselves. ©2006 Neil Gaiman; (P)2006 HarperCollins Publishers

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,905,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible