The Second Summer of the Sisterhood…

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, Book… (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Ann Brashares

Member:annya
Title:The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, Book 2)
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:Dell Books for Young Readers (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares (2003)

English (86)  Spanish (1)  All (87)
I'm not sure why, but this is the book out of the whole series that I read over and over in school. I think it had something to do with Kostos, to be perfectly honest... ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 23, 2017 |
I think I have finally figured out why I love these books so much. Brashares covers so many topics in such a short amount of space and covers them well. Not only do we have the opportunity to witness fantastic friendships, we also have the ability to go through what the characters are going through. As a result you cannot help but feel as if these characters are some of your own best friends. This is really fantastic, even as an adult. I can hardly wait to read the 5th book! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
The members of the sisterhood of the traveling pants faced a lot of life-changing, coming-of-age type events in the last book, and then apparently spent a rather stagnant year until the next summer. Now the girls have to face old problems in a new way. Bridget has never recovered from the demons awakened the last summer, and now she goes to live with her grandmother and face them. She hides her identity until she can recover it for herself. Carmen has begun to recover from her father's change in situation and reconnect with him, when suddenly a man intrudes on her important relationship with her mother. She has learned more about sharing her father, now she must learn about sharing her mother. Tibby learned to face the friendship and loss of Bailey, now she has to learn to take the lessons she learned from Bailey about seeing people for who they are and apply them to the friends she makes at her summer video camp. She has to learn about the deepest connections with people. Lena has been facing the issue of allowing herself to love, conquered it, had a relapse during the school year, and reconqured it. When Kostos gets married, she must learn that she can extend the lessons she learned with him to others. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 5, 2017 |
I feel like I've read this before and I don't think I have, I probably saw the movie. The story was pretty predictable but it was fun to know what the girls were doing next in their lives. Again, this is a nice young adult book for girls. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
"For my mother, Jane Easton Brashares, with love."
"Once there were four girls who shared a pair of pants."
There is a novel in this series published as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 which is actually a reprint of Forever in Blue - the 4th book in the series. It has a movie cover tie-in and is NOT this book.

Very enjoyable for a teen book -- the 16-year-old protagonists make everything Incredibly! Dramatic!, but once the reader remembers what it's like to BE 16, that seems very believable and realistic for the characters at hand. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood is, of course, a sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; Brashares does a nice job of explaining the backstory without being so heavy-handed as to undermine *this* story.

Characters are well-developed; conflicts are resolved in ways that are true to life (though not always pleasing). Some serious themes are addressed -- identity and family, the nature of true friends, and true love lost, among others -- but the book is never heavy or dark. It's a great snapshot be being 16.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553495011, Mass Market Paperback)

Teens who loved Ann Brashares's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2001) will cheer its equally riveting sequel The Second Summer of the Sisterhood. As in the first novel, four teen girls who have known each other since birth (their moms shared a pregnancy aerobics class) further forge their bond of friendship through a pair of thrift-store jeans that magically, impossibly, fits them all perfectly.

Like the summer before, Carmen, Bridget, Tibby, and Lena share their individual adventures with the Pants collective, creating an engaging, kaleidoscopic narrative of four voices. This summer, Tibby attends a film program in Virginia and Bridget (Bee), whose mother has died, impulsively jets off to Alabama to get reacquainted with her estranged grandmother. Lovely Lena tries to protect herself from the heartbreak of loving her long-distance Greek god boyfriend Kostos, and Carmen deals (poorly) with her mother dating again and having the nerve to borrow the Pants!

The Second Summer, while breezy and fun to read, deals seriously with love lost and found, death, and finding the courage to live honestly. The teens' lessons are often painful, but the Sisterhood prevails. Quotations from luminaries such as Charlie Brown ("Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love") to Nelson Mandela ("There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered") open each chapter and cleverly reflect the novel's many moods. (Ages 12 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:12 -0400)

With a bit of last summer's sand in the pockets, the Traveling Pants and the Sisterhood that wears them embark on their 16th summer. Bridget: Impulsively sets off for Alabama, wanting to both confront her demons about her family and avoid them all at once. Lena: Spends a blissful week with Kostos, making the unexplainable silence that follows his visit even more painful. Carmen: Is concerned that her mother is making a fool of herself over a man. When she discovers that her mother borrowed the Pants to wear on a date, she's certain of it. Tibby: Not about to spend another summer working at Wallman's, she takes a film course only to find it's what happens off-camera that teaches her the most.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,447,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible