The Hedge Witch by Colleen Delaney

The Hedge Witch

by Colleen Delaney

A Beltane spell reveals a prophecy that will change their lives¿ Laurel Bay is the third of five witchy sisters living a sweet life on Star Island; she runs a tarot reading business, depends on her sisters to pay her bills, and spends her free time jumping into the Hedge World, a realm few witches can access. But when a great love from a past life comes to her, Laurel is blinded by her need to find him-she throws all caution to the wind and ends up stalked by a vengeful witch she can't remember.Owen Davies is stuck. His powers as a son of a witch are minimal, he's surrounded by morally gray water witches, and he's aching to find his soulmate-so much so that he has a storage unit full of furniture he's built for the mystery woman. Then a fateful vacation lands him in Laurel's garden and their paths are finally intertwined. With witches after Laurel's powers and buried secrets unearthed, circumstances begin to mirror their heartbreaking past life. But this time around, Laurel and Owen refuse to be separated-not by time, not by a witch, not by death.… (more)
Member:Silverlotus

Work Information

The Hedge Witch by Colleen Delaney

No tags

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a cute and fluffy book that feels a lot like Practical Magic. A family of witchy sisters live together on a small island off the coast of Maine. This book tells the story of Laurel, the middle sister, who is a true Hedge witch and tarot reader. It is a fun love story with a bit of spice, but the book feels very uneven. Lots of attention is given to describing the scenery in some parts, but character development feels lacking for anyone beyond the two POV characters. Also, as someone who speaks just a touch of French, the French in the book isn't quite correct, which is a bit jarring. There are a few other factual errors like this that just caught my brain. The story overall has fun magical vibes for the most part and is a nice quick read. This is also clearly the first book in a series, with little hooks being set for further stories.
  Silverlotus | Jun 11, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was certainly fun! To really enjoy it though I think it needs to be read at the right time with the right expectations - this book is silly and fun and should not be taken too seriously, is it by no means a high fantasy. Most of the book felt like watching a movie with a lot of the stuff happening fast and I found that I wished this book was double the length with more character development as I felt the two main characters (Owen and laurel ) barely knew each other and us as the reader barely knew them. This book has great potential for a series and with a little bit more detail and length I think this series could really be a hit. ( )
  haleychannell | Jun 4, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once I got into it, I really liked it. It is a 18+ book, for violence, sex, and language. It has a good storyline and is obviously going to be a part of a series (which I will be looking for because I NEED to know what happens next. It is a pretty quick read and moves at a good pace story wise. Reminds me of Practical Magic the movie. Reads similar to a YA book with a bit more spice for an adult. I like these type of reads that are a good distraction from reality. ( )
  oriocookie | Jun 2, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good story filled with three magical families, time travel, bountiful lists of herbs and flowers, lots of graphic sex, and with a cliffhanger ending encouraging you to purchase the next book in the soon to be published (written?) new series. (I will not be purchasing) There are several hundred reviews published on Amazon and Goodreads. The protagonists are likeable the evil witch is dreadful.
Thank you to LibraryThing and CityOwlPress for the free eBook.

JoRob01 | Jun 1, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is entirely fit for someone who's not me. Even very early on in the book, the writing style and storytelling came across less as sophisticated and more as "turn-your-brain-off" entertainment, to me. I noticed an almost juvenile tone to a chunk of the writing, particularly early on, and the occasional references to pop culture that appeared felt pasted-in and random, with no elaboration, as though the reader already knows the interpretation the author means to convey. The plot isn't especially interesting, and no characters other than the main three get much depth -- and even those three feel like pastiches, as the classic female romance protagonist, hot male love interest, and almost comically-evil antagonist with a vendetta against the protagonist having anything good. The most interesting part of the book was the interaction of the present with the past lives, but I frankly didn't find it lengthy enough to captivate my attention, nor was it written interestingly enough for me to have any desire for more.

In all honesty, my two-star review is not meant as a patch on what the book is, for those who want it -- there are plenty of people out there who will enjoy a shorter, smutty romance, with a tad of magic and without demanding too much in-depth analysis. It's an easy read and it knows it, but it's not a book for me. ( )
3 vote VerixSilvercrow | May 30, 2024 |

Belongs to Series

To Dad
I would never have wanted you to read this, but I wish you were here to see me publish it. You would have appreciated Owen's carpentry skills. I'll miss you for the rest of my life.
The bonfire was magnificent—untamed and elemental.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Colleen Delaney's book The Hedge Witch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,053,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible