A Picture Book of George Washington (Picture…

A Picture Book of George Washington (Picture Book Biography) (original 1989; edition 1990)

by David A. Adler (Author)

1,0833914,928 (3.8)None
A brief account of the life of the "Father of Our Country."
Member:RachaelNewman
Title:A Picture Book of George Washington (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler (Author)
Info:Holiday House (1990), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages

Work Information

A Picture Book of George Washington by David A. Adler (1989)

Yesterday was Presidents' Day here in the states, a federal holiday that originally commemorated the birthday of George Washington (February 22nd, 1732), but which now celebrates all of our presidents. In honor of the day, I decided to track down a picture-book biography of our first president, and having recently read some other entries in David A. Adler's Picture Book Biographies series, settled upon this one, as a likely candidate for a first introduction to the subject for young children. The narrative here outlines the many events of Washington's turbulent life, from his childhood in Virginia to his service in the French and Indian War, his leadership of the American forces during the Revolution, and his election as the new nation's first president. The text is accompanied by the illustrations of John and Alexandra Wallner, and a timeline is included at the rear.

First published in 1989, A Picture Book of George Washington was the sixth entry in Adler's series, and provides (with one exception) a good basic introduction to its subject's life. The text is simple and easily understood, and while it doesn't really give much background information regarding the historical causes of any of the events chronicled, it gives enough that young children will understand the major periods in Washington's life, coming away with an appreciation for all he accomplished. My main criticism of the book would be that it never mentions the fact that Washington was a slave owner, either in the main narrative or in the timeline. This surprised me, as the first volume from this series that I read, A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus, did mention (however briefly) the deleterious effects of Columbus' voyage on the native peoples of the Caribbean. I understand that in books intended for this age group - I would say it is suitable for children between four and six years old - it is appropriate to concentrate more on the positive aspects of the subject under discussion, but I nevertheless feel uncomfortable seeing all of the negatives simply omitted. A simple mention of the fact that Washington owned slaves, perhaps followed by the information that he posthumously freed them, would have sufficed here, given the nature of this book. In the end, I think this is a title I would only recommend in conjunction with some other picture-book about the subject, and I suspect, much as with my current project to find picture-books about Martin Luther King Jr. that I would recommend, I have a new project on my hands. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Feb 16, 2021 |
This book is about the life of George Washington and specific events that happened during his lifetime. There are great facts and important dates. This would be a great book for history and for children to do presentations over George Washington. ( )
  taylor26. | Nov 25, 2018 |
This book was a biography about George Washington, our first President of the United States. This book told the reader facts about George Washington in chronically order. He grew up in Virginia. He had to grow up early since his father died, he needed to help his mom out. He joins the army in 1751. From 1775-1783 he is commander in chief of the Continental army. From 1789-1797 he serves as the first president of the United States. Two years later in 1799, George Washington passes away due to illness. It was said that he was "first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his fellow-citizens." I really liked that this book didn't drown the reader with too much information. The author only put in the most important facts. ( )
  lsalone | Feb 1, 2018 |
This a book that I loved just as much as the one about Abe Lincoln. Learning about historical figures can be challenging because of the words and terms that they author uses. This picture book brings to life a whole new meaning of learning about a president because through the illustrations allows more connections to be made. I would recommend this book to any elementary grade level. In the upper grades, you could pair this book with a nonfiction book about George Washington which will help students compare and contrast the two. This book is simplistic which makes reading it to younger readers even more recognizable. This book talks about his life and the timeline of events. It starts off with him being born and continuing through all of those important details that students should know. It really focuses on the events that lead up to the revolutionary war. It also discusses how his life was during the presidency and ending in his death. How this book is written, it is a great introductory for students, which will prepare them for the upper history classes that they will take up until their college years. Overall, this was a great book that can really spark the interest of any reader. ( )
  Karleyk14 | Nov 12, 2017 |
I like this book because of the illustrations and the timeline. The illustrations in this book aid the text and allow the reader to understand what the author is talking about. This book could be great for a read aloud introductory for a history lesson for early elementary school. I also like the timeline that the author puts in the back of the book. This is a great tool that can be useful to summarize what the student just read. It also gives a different perspective. The purpose of this story is to inform the reader about a historical figure. ( )
  adietr3 | Feb 23, 2017 |

David A. Adlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wallner, AlexandraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wallner, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Renee, with love.
D.A.A.
Thank you, Mr. Washington!
A.W. and J.W.
George Washington was born on February 22, 1732 in a simple Virginia farmhouse.

A brief account of the life of the "Father of Our Country."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,931,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible