How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story

by Eve Bunting

Other authors: Beth Peck (Illustrator)

Refugees from a Caribbean island embark on a dangerous boat trip to America where they have a special reason to celebrate Thanksgiving.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I like this book for three reasons. First, I like how the author pushes readers to think about the bigger issue in the world, why people immigrants to other countries. Although the reason why the family moved to America was not explicitly stated in the begin or middle of the book, the title and illustration caused readers to question the action of the family. Second, the plot of the story is well designed. Instead of having the answer to why the family moved to America explained at the beginning or the middle of the story, the answer is revealed at the end of the book. This created a sense of mystery and a strong desired for readers to finish the book to find out the answer. Lastly, I like how this story is told from a child’s perspective. The situation they are in and the events they experience on the journey to America seems very innocent as if the family is going on a vacation. The children did not understand the “real” reason they have to move. The repetitive question “How many days to America?” asked by the little sister adds on the to innocent of children when it comes to political challenges the parents were facing back home. ( )
  wzuo1 | Apr 11, 2019 |
The story of immigration is told through the eyes of children. It is not sugar coated, but lends itself to wonderful discussion. I love that the reader does not know where the refugees are coming from. The ending is hopeful as people welcome the refugees with a meal on Thanksgiving Day. Can you imagine taking a boat ride all across the ocean to the USA? This family faces a challenge on the journey to freedom and that challenge being the soldiers shooting at them. The narrator tells us she is in danger when it says "men shot at us from the cliffs". It is the soldiers shooting. This is a clue on her journey to America where they can be "free and safe". Students can infer why the characters in our story aren't welcome at the first place they read on their boat, along with predicting the ending and why they had to leave their home in the first place. The language is appropriate for 5th grade students. They will enjoy this book's focus on the human spirit and ultimate success. ( )
  ekorominas | Feb 6, 2019 |
How Many Days to America is a story of refugees from the Caribbean islands seeking refuge in America, and coincidentally landing on Thanksgiving Day. Reading the stories of the unsafe and harsh travels from people all over the world to seek shelter in the Americas is always an astounding read, however, the book is very vague. Throughout the entire story the culture of the characters were never mentioned, but the illustrations revealed their dark skin. There was no mention as to why the family had to leave their homes, just that they did not agree with the government there. Upon the arrival of one piece of land, there were soldiers awaiting and turned the people back on their boats, not providing any shelter. When asked why, the father replied, "it is not that." It almost seems as though some type of background knowledge is required before reading this story. The text structure is almost non-existent. ( )
  Kstanley35 | Oct 7, 2018 |
Even though this story doesn’t say where the family is from I think that this is a classic tale of immigration that many Americans could relate to. My great grandfather came to America twice in his life from Italy and his story of immigration is the most important part of my family to this day. ( )
  CaputoJohn | Aug 23, 2018 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peck, BethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,513,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible