If You Hopped Like A Frog by David M.…

If You Hopped Like A Frog

by David M. Schwartz

Other authors: James Warhola (Illustrator)

Counting on Frank (Math Reader ∙ Grade 4) by Rod Clement (ASKier)
    ASKier: COUNTING ON FRANK does not include justification for comparative statements (which are not always mathematically correct), Schwartz's work includes assumptions and "solutions" at the back of the book.

This is a great picture book to use on multiple levels and that is why I had to expand the range from k-3 to k-5. In the main section of the story the author uses general information and funny illustrations to inform the reader of the various feats and traits a person would have if they had qualities like animals. This knowledge is expanded upon in the second section of the story where each part of the first story is explained in mathematical terms that could be even further expanded to encourage the children to relate it to themselves. This book will definitely become a part of my library in the future. ( )
  Kevin-Kelley | Nov 6, 2018 |
The book, "If You Hopped Like A Frog" by David Schwartz is about a boy who always wanted to hop like a frog. He describes how being able to do things animals do would make him look differently. The concept of math and science are presented in this book because the little boy describes how far a frog jumps, how fast a person would grow if they grew like they were in the womb, and how much a person would weigh. The concept of science is presented in this book by showing how much weight ants can lift, what type of fish pelicans eat. In the back of the book was math word problems for readers to do, I thought this detail was nice, if children like math. ( )
  kpacheco1 | Apr 17, 2018 |
This book compares the different things animals and humans can both do. It compares the different amount of food they can eat in one bite or swallow in a gulp. Its vivid picture to really show the comparison between humans and animals. ( )
  ktgordon | Nov 27, 2017 |
If You Hopped Like a Frog is a book that gets the reader engaged on the topic by using science and math together. They use things in nature to show how a strong, fast, and other characteristics a human might have if they were proportional to an animal. ( )
  alan.greenwald | Nov 14, 2017 |
Genre- Fantasy because it has real things in it but fake scenarios
Summary- the book is talking about things you could "do" and if you could do them then something else would happen. It has some facts about animals and then compares you to that animal.
Reflection- I think this is a good book because it really shows the reader scenarios to connect to themselves so that they understand what the animal can do but in a human perspective. I thought it was kind of funny.
Media- painting ( )
  alopez19 | Oct 17, 2017 |

Schwartz, David M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This is another great book to integrate math and literacy. It's a book about comparing things in our world, using math.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590098578, Hardcover)

Einstein wondered what it was like to be a beam of light, but the rest of us are happy wondering what it's like to be a flea or a brachiosaurus. David M. Schwartz's engaging picture book is for the rest of us. With the help of James Warhola's colorful, exaggerated illustrations, we learn about the cool things we could do if we were various nonhuman types of creatures. If you high-jumped like a flea, for example, you could jump straight into the Statue of Liberty's torch. If you ate like a shrew, you could devour over 700 hamburgers a day! Each comparison is explained scientifically in a comically illustrated appendix, where young readers will find questions designed to elicit further comparing and calculating. The best surprise by far is finding out what would happen if you grew as fast in your first nine months of life as you did in the nine months before you were born. (Ages 3 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Introduces the concept of ratio by comparing what humans would be able to do if they had bodies like different animals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible