The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (1997)

by Miguel Ruiz

The author uses ancient Toltec wisdom to fashion a personal philosophy around these four principles--be impeccable with your word, don't take anything personally, don't make assumptions and always do your best.

English (111)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (113)
So not my bag. ( )
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
I picked up this book because a psychologist friend really liked it. As I read it, though, I thought, "I paid $12 for this?" Four simple principles, but they aren't complete, in terms of being able to govern one's life by. Where the author is clear, his statements are just restatements of common sense. But in many areas he's not clear at all. I can't imagine how he managed to fill 138 pages of a book, AND have it on the New York Times bestseller list for over 5 years! Not recommended. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
Ok, I'm sure there are some people that found this book, enlightening, thought provoking, mindful, whatever. If so, then I'm glad you got something out of this book.
As for me, I thought it trivial, juvenile, full of conjecture and suspicious. Ruiz, comments on Toltec practices but never sites where he got this information. It seemed to me he rambled on with what he seemed to think the 4 agreements ought to be and how they should be practiced.
The context is 168 pages, double spaced. Was 80 pages single spaced too small for the publisher to consider. I'm not clear as to the audience might be for this book. I scratch my head in befuddlement. 10 years on the NYT best seller list? If this is how self-help books are written, I'm sure I can do it too. I left it at the pool hoping someone will gravitate to it at just the right time in their life. ( )
  Carmenere | May 28, 2022 |
Fantastic style, will update the review in the future with the changes that this book brought in my practical life.
  Pxan02 | May 14, 2022 |
1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don't take anything personally
3. Don't make assumptions
4. Always do your best.

The Eightfold Path? The Ten Commandments? Heck, four agreements are more than I seem to be able to master. But if I could follow them, I think the rest would fall into place.

A great, simple book that reminds us how to live a fulfilling life. #2 and #3 continue to trip me up, tie me up, and generally do me in. ( )
  TommyHousworth | Feb 5, 2022 |
To the Circle of Fire;
those who have gone before,
those who are present,
and those who have yet to come.
What you are seeing and hearing right now is nothing but a dream.

Beyond Words Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1878424319, 187842436X, 1878424777

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,063,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible