Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

Pink and Say (edition 1994)

by Patricia Polacco (Author)

Member:krchavis
Title:Pink and Say
Authors:Patricia Polacco (Author)
Info:Philomel Books (1994), Edition: First edition., 48 pages
Collections:EDLM_436, Your library
Tags:HIST

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

The author shares the story that she claims has been passed down through the generations from her great great grandfather Sheldon (Say) Curtis about his friendship with Pinkus (Pink) Aylee during the Civil War. Say is a white soldier from Ohio who is injured in battle in Georgia and discovered by Pink, an African American soldier and brings him back to his home to be tended to by his mother. Say bonds with Pink and his family, but the two young soldiers are eventually caught by Confederates and sent to the prison camp. Pink's fate breaks your heart, but Say keeps his memory alive as he survives the war. The book puts a human face on the devastation of this terrible time in our nation's history. ( )
  krchavis | Jul 18, 2017 |
Summary:
This is a story about two young soldiers during the Civil War who meet up after both being injured. One is a white soldier named Sheldon and the other is a black soldier named Pinkus. Pinkus takes Sheldon back to his home where his mother nurses them back to health. Although Sheldon does not want to rejoin the war he comes to an understanding of why he needs to after Pinkus' mother is shot.
Personal Reaction:
Patricia Polacco is one of my favorite authors. I love her books and I have always been fascinated with the Civil War. I have never been able to understand racism and slavery. I appreciate all the people in the past that fought so hard to abolish it and the ones still fighting today.
Classroom Extension:
1. A lot of families in this area are military families which means a majority of our students have a parent or know of someone personally that is in the military. This would be the perfect time to talk about the sacrifices our military makes and write thank you letters to someone in the military that is serving.
2. As a class we would discus the Civil War and that the soldiers were fighting for freedom for African Americans. I would talk to them about the union and the confederacy. I would turn it into a basic lesson about the Civil War. ( )
  Charessa | Jul 15, 2017 |
Summary:
This book is set during the Civil War. A young white boy named Sheldon (Say) was injured and left for dead when a young black boy named Pinkus (Pink) finds him. Pinkus decided to help Sheldon, and headed off toward his home. Moe Moe Bay, Pinkus' mother, took care of both the boys. Over the course of Sheldon's recovery, Pink and Say became closer. Pinkus explains how certain aspects of slavery worked, and why he was ready to go back into the fight. When the two boys were getting close to leaving, rival soldiers showed up. Once the boys left to join the war, they were captured by confederate soldiers and eventually separated. Pink was dragged away from Say, and never had a written record of any further family. Say was released from captivity, and passed this story down through generations of his family until written and illustrated into this book.

Personal Reaction:
This book brought tears to my eyes. I am thankful that I did not grow up during this time, and thinking about the way African Americans were treated breaks my heart. It is a heart filling story of an African American male who befriended a white boy on the battle field and saved his life. Showing you, that everyone has compassion.

Classroom Extension:
1.) I could print out a map of the United States, and have the children identify which states were a part of the Confederacy and which were a part of the Union.
2.) We could create a Civil War timeline.
  JenniferPrice | Jul 6, 2017 |
This book is about a man named Curtis who tells his first meeting with Pinkus Aylee, who was a black soldier during the Civil War, and them being captured by Southern troops.

I would read this book during a lesson on the Civil War

5th-7th grade. ( )
  alizadawn | May 4, 2017 |
The story is about two boy soldiers who meet each other in the battlefield during the American Civil War. This book can be used for history about the civil war. It makes it a lot more interesting. ( )
  Christina1476 | Apr 20, 2017 |
Hands and gestures have always been important in Polacco's work. Here they are at the center of a picture book based on a true incident in the author's own family history. It's a story of interracial friendship during the Civil War between two 15-year-old Union soldiers. Say, who is white and poor, tells how he is rescued by Pinkus (Pink), who carries the wounded Say back to the Georgia home where Pink's black family were slaves. In a kind of idyllic interlude, Pink and his mother nurse Say back to health, and Pink teaches his friend to read; but before they can leave, marauders kill Pink's mother and drag the boys to Andersonville prison. Pink is hanged, but Say survives to tell the story and pass it on across generations. The figure of Pink's mother borders on the sentimental, but the boys' relationship is beautifully drawn. Throughout the story there are heartbreaking images of people torn from a loving embrace. Pictures on the title and copyright pages show the parallel partings as each boy leaves his family to go to war. At the end, when the friends are wrenched apart in prison, the widening space between their outstretched hands expresses all the sorrow of the war. Then, in a powerful double-page spread, they are able to clasp hands for a moment, and their union is like a rope. Say once shook Lincoln's hand, just as Say held Pink's hand, and Say tells his children, who tell theirs, that they have touched the hand that touched the hand . . .
added by sriches | editBooklist

Gr 4 UpSay, 15, had never seen a black person up close until Pink, also a young Union soldier, saves his life. During his brief stay in Pink's home, the wounded boy comes to understand his friend's unconquerable vision of freedom. A memorable family reminiscence with evocative paintings. (Oct. 1994)
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal

Patricia Polaccoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hickson, JoanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Follows the story of two boys during the Civil War. One was a slave and one was a soldier. The soldier named Say gets saved by Pink, who was a slave and is taken back to his slave home. It tells the story of this great friendship.

Say Curtis describes his meeting with Pinkus Aylee, a black soldier, during the Civil War, and their capture by Southern troops. Based on a true story about the author's great-great-grandfather.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,141,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible