The tiny seed by Eric Carle

The tiny seed (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Eric Carle

Member:jacobheil
Title:The tiny seed
Authors:Eric Carle
Info:Natick, MA : Picture Book Studio : Distributed in USA by Alphabet Press, c1987.
Collections:Uncatalogued

The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle (1987)

Garden (3)

I loved that this was an audio book. It was for ages 4-6 so it would definitely have to be for younger kids or maybe even a struggling ELL student who enjoys/helps him or her learn by hearing the words being read to them. I would like to see the illustrations for this book. ( )
  rpridmore | Sep 12, 2017 |
Summary:
This book follows a seed from its starting point through various places until it lands on ground. As time progresses, the seed survives the winter and at last rain falls and sunlight comes out which helps it to grow. A flower springs forth and then all the seasons follow with the petals falling and then the entire cycle restarts.

Personal Reflection:
My mom loves flowers and does a lot of gardening. I have come to love flowers myself and love how this book explains the cycle of life for a flower for children.

Extension Ideas:
1. This would be the perfect time to explain the cycle of life for flowers to the students. Have various pictures of what the cycle looks like and the structure of the flowers.
2. Have bags of seeds prepared for the students. They can plant their own flower seeds and watch them grow. Of course, taking care of them would be included in their work.
  Elisec | Jul 25, 2017 |
This is an informational book explaining what happens to a seed as the wind carries it from the flower it came from. It is told form the seeds point of view. This book also comes with a seed in the front cover which students can plant. This would be good for third graders about learning about nature and the process of plants growing. ( )
  heidi.donner | May 2, 2017 |
Summary:
The Tiny Seed is an informational book, about what happens to a seed as the wind carries it from the flower it came from. The Tiny seed that the story follows, is carried by the wind, past the dessert, past the ocean, over the mountain, until finally it lands on the ground. As winter arrives, the tiny seed burrows itself deeper into the ground, and is covered by a blanket of snow. After surviving the winter, the tiny seed begins to sprout. With the help of the sunlight, and rain, the tiny seed turns into a flower. As the seasons fade, the wind grows stronger and carries the petals and eventually the seeds of the flower off into the wind; completing the circle of the tiny seed’s life.

Personal Reaction:
Eric Carl, is one of my favorite children’s authors, but is by far my favorite children’s illustrator. The textured illustrations, along with the text, take you on a beautiful adventure following the life of a tiny seed. For me the entire story is more than about a tiny seed. For me, I also visualize the circle of life, and how we are all tiny seeds floating in the wind. I found this story to be visually astounding, and something me and my children really enjoyed reading. It made me want to go out and plant seeds and watch as they become something beautiful.

Extension Ideas:
The Tiny Seed, follows the life of the tiniest seed of a flower. A great story comprehension activity, as well as a creative writing activity that I would do with my students, is called the traveling seed. In this activity I would have a total of 10 different addresses of people within my family and friends. I would mail a single seed to the first address, along with the address if the next person. I will ask that each person place a letter or a postcard from their area into the envelope, and then mail everything to the next person; acting as the wind carrying the tiny seed. Once I received the envelope back, as a class we would plant the seed, and then do a creative writing exercise based on the adventures the tiny seed went through. Another activity that can be done based off of The Tiny seed, is a sequencing activity. the concept of the sequence of events, is a crucial concept for young readers to learn, and The Tiny Seed is a great example of the importance of the correct sequence of events. As a class we would recreate the main events, using props and our imagination. In a circle outside, we would all pretend to be the wind, the seed and so on and so forth. ( )
  KaylaRoseDyer | Apr 23, 2017 |
Eric Carle’s classic story of the life cycle of a flower is told through the adventures of a tinyseed. This mini-book includes a piece detachable seed-embedded paper housed on theinside front cover. Readers can plant the entirepiece of paper and watch as their very own tiny seeds grow into beautiful wildflowers. Students will utilize the provided sled-embedded paper to grow beautiful wildflowers and Observe the life cycle & parts of the plant.
  CassityE | Apr 14, 2017 |

Eric Carleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, Gabriela KeselmanTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It is Autumn.

When the tiny seed is blown away from its parent plant, it travels a very long way - over seas, deserts and mountains. The tiny seed survives the hazards of the journey and finally falls onto fertile earth. It grows and grows, becoming the tallest, biggest flower for miles around. Then one day the wind blows and thousands of the flower's seeds begin their own journeys.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

A simple description of a flowering plant's life cycle through the seasons. Dazzlingly colorful collage illustrations and a simple but dramatic text tell the fascinating story of the life cycle of a flower in terms of the adventures of a tiny seed. Carried aloft by the autumn wind, the tiny seed, along with other bigger seeds, travels far over the world. The journey is perilous: one of the bigger seeds is burned by the sun another falls into the ocean still another is eaten by a bird. Even after those that are left have landed on fertile ground and begun to grow, danger is near: one small plant is stepped on, one little flower is picked but the tiny seed keeps growing almost unnoticed. Young readers will cheer at the happy outcome of this exciting tale. And they will long remember the heartening message of the tiny seed's steadfast perseverance in the face of many hazards and obstacles until its final joyful success.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,837,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible