Rodin: At the Musee Rodin by Jacques Vilain

Rodin: At the Musee Rodin

by Jacques Vilain, Musee Rodin, Musee Rodin

291584,215 (4)None
The Musée Rodin celebrates the art of Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), the most innovative sculptor of the French Romantic School. Before his death, Rodin donated all his works still in his possession to the French nation. This highly illustrated book is based on the museum's collection, which is housed in the Hotel Biron in Paris, where the artist lived and worked during the last years of his life.… (more)
102 (1) 171 (1) 19th century (2) 2000-2999 (1) [N] (1) [NB] (1) art (9) art book (1) art history (2) artist (1) artists: men (1) ARTX (1) CTB (1) culture (1) drawing (1) exhibition catalogue (1) France (3) French (2) French art (1) marble (1) misc. books (1) museum (2) painting (1) Paris (3) plaster (1) Rodin (2) sculpture (6) Selga (1) travel (1) XG213 (1)

I purchased this at le Musée itself. It's the only museum (well, OK, one of the very few museums) I have visited where I had to look away, embarrassed, so other visitors couldn't see how emotionally involved I was with the art. Rodin has a way of presenting passion that speaks directly to me in a way that I can't fully prepare for or communicate.

This volume is the only one at the gift shop that I thought I could afford. It contains some very good representations of Rodin's incomparable art. Unlike other art books, which sit on my coffee table as little representations or misrepresentations of art in their own right, this volume is like a two dimensional sketchpad through which I can relive my experience of the three dimensional work of art; thus, I would not recommend it without first experiencing the sculpture on which it is based. I'm sorry if that sounds elitist -- I don't intend it that way -- but my God, if you somehow find yourself in Paris, don't miss this museum! ( )
  HoraceSPatoot | Oct 13, 2007 |

Hayward, JudithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marraud, Helenesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Normand-Romain, Antionette Lesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinet, Helenesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,601,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible