The Loop by Nicholas Evans

The Loop (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Nicholas Evans (Author)

A conflict breaks out between cattle ranchers and government agents in Montana over the killing of wolves, a protected species. On the positive side this is how Luke Calder, son of the leading rancher meets and falls in love with Helen Ross, a government biologist. By the author of The Horse Whisperer.… (more)
Member:Plant2flower
Title:The Loop
Authors:Nicholas Evans (Author)
Info:Dell (1999), Edition: First Edition, 560 pages

Work Information

The Loop by Nicholas Evans (1998)

English (18)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
I really did not think I would like this as much as I did. This takes place in Montana where wolves were reintroduced to the area. Helen Ross works to put radio collars on the wolves to track and protect them. The ranchers in the area are against the wolves because they have killed cattle. Luke, the son of the leader of the ranchers, assists Helen with the wolves, much to the embarrassment of his father. It all comes to head when Luke is caught trying to save some wolf pups. Recommended for animal lovers and environmentalists. ( )
  dara85 | Nov 3, 2021 |
This catches the issues that wildlife must face - an unearned reputation for wolves being violent to humans and their livestock. Story moved along quickly but read abridged version which made it more of a love story. Luke was the most interesting as the son of a rancher who does not agree with his father's ways. Glad that the concept of the "loop" was clearly explained and how the hunter realized the error of his ways. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Started off good, but became boring. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
[Note: I read the German translation Im Kreis des Wolfes by Bernhard Robben.]

Plot:
Hope, Montana is shaken - the wolves have returned to the woods around town, and the first cattle has been taken. Unofficial town leader Buck Calder will not have it - he just wants those wolves gone. But there are species protection laws and the local specialists send for Helen Ross, a biologist specialized in wolves, to try and figure things out. Helen is in need of a change of scenery and jumps at the chance, clashing pretty much immediately with Calder, but finding an unexpected ally in Calder's young son Luke.

I read The Loop when I was a teenager (after having loved Evans' The Horse Whisperer) and was very much taken with it back then. Reading it about 15 years later, it doesn't quite hold up to my fond memories of it, but it is a decent read.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2017/10/14/re-read-the-loop-nicholas-evans/ ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 17, 2018 |
Conservationist vs. hunter is the theme of this Montana based novel. When local cattlemen find members of their herd killed by what appears to be wolves, a wolf tracker is hired to come and live in the woods and try to tag and track the wolves, to see if they are the culprits. The personalities of the locals conflict in living and in letting live, nature and the wolves. And one outspoken anti-wolf rancher's son, falls in love with the female wolf tracker. The author obviously did lots of research and it sounds from the descriptions of the scenery and the wildlife, that he is very familiar with that about what he wrote...even if it was listed as fiction. Very good, and I thought even better than his first book, THE HORSE WHISPERER. ( )
  LivelyLady | Nov 17, 2017 |

Nicholas Evansprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, NicholasAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hiser, DavidPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lacombe, BrigittePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seals, RobinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything the Power of the World
does is done in a circle. The sky is
round and I have heard that the earth
is round like a ball and so are all the stars.
The wind, in its greatest power, whirls.
Birds make their nests in circles,
for theirs is the same religion as ours.
The sun comes forth and goes down
again in a circle. The moon does the
same and both are round. Even the
seasons form a great circle on their
changing and always come back again
to where they were. The life of a man
is a circle from childhood to childhood.
And so it is in everything where power moves.

BLACK ELK, OGLALA SIOUX
(1863-1950)
For my mother, Eileen,

and in memory of my father,

Tony Evans
Manche glauben, daß der Geruch des Todes jahrelang an einem Ort haften kann.
The scent of slaughter, some believe, can linger in a place for years.
Author might be Nicholas Evans instead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,070,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible