Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

1970s (169)
. (5)

Independent Reading Level: Grades 6-7
  LisaCook14 | Dec 7, 2023 |
excellent book to keep your class engaged and reading! ( )
  BDent114 | Dec 2, 2023 |
Hillcrest - so would have been different edition ( )
  Overgaard | Jun 7, 2023 |
I first read this book in Junior High School. I loved it then and really connected with the writer, Anne Frank, who was about my age at the time. I think that is why your students at this age can really take a lot out of reading this book as well. As I've just finished it a second time as an adult I took so much more from this young girl.

The book contains journal entries, written by Anne Frank, a 13-year-old Jewish girl who was in hiding with her family and others during the Nazi occupation. The Franks and the Van Daans, are two families living in a small attic of an old office building. There are 8 people in total and the journal entries talk about how they are cut off from the outside world, crammed into a small tight space, hungry, bored, and the constant fear of being discovered by the Gestapo and taken to a concentration camp. There were times when the entries were geared toward a typical teenager describing the ups and downs of life in the situation and other times when she was more of a journalist reporting on their life in hiding.

I think this would be a great book to get kids talking about World War II and what was happening during this time. They would feel a connection to this young girl who is their age and what she is going through. ( )
  NickiByrd | Mar 22, 2021 |
Overall, this is a very moving book. This book would probably better be geared toward middle schoolers, because of the nature of the holocaust. It is a great way to give your students a first person perspective of world war 2. Either a history or english class could use this book. ( )
  madelynberger | Nov 23, 2020 |

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,937,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible