The Mysteries of Pittsburgh: A Novel by…

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh: A Novel (original 1988; edition 2008)

by Michael Chabon

Member:never2clever
Title:The Mysteries of Pittsburgh: A Novel
Authors:Michael Chabon
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Paperback, 336 pages

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (1988)

Recently added byplivo, Tia.Scarbrough, private library, jas16, e-zReader, cbuckley57
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (zhejw)
    zhejw: The Great Gatsby also takes place over the course of one summer after the protagonist graduates from college. Chabon has acknowledged it as one of the influences for his book.
    The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi (brianjungwi)
    Werewolves in Their Youth: Stories by Michael Chabon (Patangel)
    Patangel: La même humanité transparait dans ces deux ouvrages du même auteur.
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (CGlanovsky)

English (40)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (44)
A marvelous coming of age tale as can only be told by Michael Chabon. I think he is an incredible storyteller. He creates iconic characters, uses language masterfully, and is very witty. It was fun to read his first novel after having enjoyed all those which followed! ( )
  hemlokgang | Aug 23, 2017 |
A typical coming of age, realism story. It's set during a summer break of an average college student named Arthur. He meets and befriends a quirky girl, a homosexual man, and an alcoholic. Throughout the book Arthur is trying to figure out who he is and what he wants in life. It's not a Catcher in the Rye or a Great Gatsby, but it is a pretty decent read. It is also very well written (as it is written by Chabon), if not a little simple; I give it a three star rating because of it's simplicity.
Chabon gives common (and not far-fetched or fantastic) reasons for his character's back stories, but I do suppose therein lies its strength. It resonates with the average person. Beware, though. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh can offend moral sensibilities as it deals with sexuality and instances of legal wrongdoing and how it is handled. Fortunately, though, Chabon does not use many swear words which tend to pervade books of this nature, and, for that matter, many modern fiction books. Overall, a unique read that won't take up much of your time. ( )
  omgully | Jul 6, 2017 |
Despite all the "acclaim," I just didn't like this novel. The story failed to grip and the characters left me cold. Based on all the glowing book blurbs, I am very alone in this opinion. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Mixed up male, coming of age, once again. Done well. I guess every guywriter has one of these in him. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
If it weren't my Chabon, much of whose work I have enjoyed, I would not even have tried this.  After all, one reviewer compares the hero to Holden Caulfield, whom I find both boring and annoying.  And from the first the book is turning me off, with the hard-partying youth who really need to get a grip and either choose joy or worry about something real, instead of about existential philosophy or Jr. High style crushes.  Still, Chabon does have a style, a grace, a voice... I did manage to get to p72 before deciding that I have better things to do with my time.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
We have shared it out like thieves
the amazing treasure of nights and days
J.L.Borges
To Lollie
At the beginning of the summer I had lunch with my father, the gangster, who was in town for the weekend to transact some of his vague business.

By the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Now reissued, Michael Chabon's "New York Times" bestselling first novel is a funny, tender coming-of-age novel that introduces readers to Art Bechstein, a Holden Caulfield for the post-Boomer/pre-Gen X-er generation. Chabon's first novel was universally lauded as the arrival of a rare and remarkable new literary talent who has proved to be one of our most profound and original writers.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michael Chabon's book The Mysteries of Pittsburgh is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible