Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers…

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers (original 1950; edition 1991)

by Ralph Moody (Author)

Series: Little Britches (1)

Ralph Moody was eight years old in 1906 when his family moved from New Hampshire to a Colorado ranch. Through his eyes we experience the pleasures and perils of ranching there early in the twentieth century. Auctions and roundups, family picnics, irrigation wars, tornadoes and wind storms give authentic color to Little Britches. So do adventures, wonderfully told, that equip Ralph to take his father's place when it becomes necessary. nbsp; Little Britches was the literary debut of Ralph Moody, who wrote about the adventures of his family in eight glorious books, all available as Bison Books.… (more)
Member:healyhome
Title:Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers
Authors:Ralph Moody (Author)
Info:Bison Books (1991), 260 pages

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (1950)

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Even though this book is fiction, it has the same spirit of a young person trying to build a new life out West. Unlike Ralph, Hattie has to do it all on her own.

I think I would have been fascinated with this book as a kid, but as an adult I find the pace just a little too fast. I like to relax with a book, and this is not the book for that. It moves at a rapid clip from one scene to the next and is a great view of the west at the turn of the century. Highly recommend for late grade-schoolers or middle-schoolers. ( )
  Desiree_Reads | Jul 9, 2021 |
Really episodic, but well written and engaging. This is probably a somewhat romanticized version of the author's childhood, and is as much about his relationship with his father as it is about the west.

If you're thinking of reading it to your kids read it yourself first. It might not suit all children terribly well. You'll be glad you read it though. ( )
  dmmjlllt | Apr 25, 2021 |
Good story - similar to "Little House on the Prairie" series, but with a male main character. ( )
  Shofbrook | Nov 6, 2020 |
Ralph and his family move from the east coast to Colorado, per the convincing story of cousin Phil. When the family first arrived there was doubt, but they made the most of the shack they were to rent and make their home.
However, life got a little trickier and dangerous, when some of the ranchers started stealing water for the crops, and an irrigation war broke out.
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
  salem.colorado | Jan 22, 2018 |

Ralph Moodyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beierle, CameronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Original title Little Britches

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible