Akira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro Otomo

Akira, Vol. 1 (edition 2000)

by Katsuhiro Otomo

Series: Akira (1)

Member:trypd
Title:Akira, Vol. 1
Authors:Katsuhiro Otomo
Info:Dark Horse (2000), Comic, 364 pages
Tags:Manga, post-apocalyptic

Akira, Volume 1 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

English (20)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (22)
Read Akira for library school and really enjoyed it. It is a good starting point to a series, ie it builds up the characters who will be the main focus, kinda explains the background, but it did feel at times that there wasn't a full story in place, just build up. The art is amazing and I loved the writing. I wasn't planning to read this series, but I am hooked. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
This book is only the beginning of a longer tale. It is action packed with suspense that kept me reading. ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
That awkward moment when you go to read Vol. 4 and the "the story so far" doesn't sound familiar at all because it's literally been years since you read Volumes 1-3. So this is technically a re-read, but it almost feels like a first time read because it's been soooo long. I can't believe how much I have forgotten from my initial reading.

It's not like the movie.

What do I say about postapocalyptic Tokyo? There are gangs, and drugs, a secret military project (which was the cause of the apocalypse in the first place), and kids with paranormal powers.

This whole graphic novel is a hot mess of drugs, violence and creepy kids with mad-crazy mind powers.

I loved it of course, duh! I I think I enjoyed it more than the first time I read it, because I changed my star rating from 4 to 5 stars. ( )
  Virago77 | Aug 2, 2017 |

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer

Title: Akira #1
Series: Akira
Author & Artist: Katsuhiro Otomo
Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Manga
Pages: 360

Synopsis:
Best friends, Kaneda and Tetsuo, are juvenile delinquents at a reform school. They are popping pills whenever they can and driving their motorcycles with their gang whenever they can.
One night Tetsuo gets into an accident trying to avoid a mysterious stranger and is taken to a hospital. When he comes back, he isn't the same Tetsuo.
Kaneda gets involved with a rogue group in the process of trying to find Tetsuo and runs afoul of a secret military branch.
And through it all, Akira, a secret weapon that started and ended World War III, is spoken about in hushed tones. What, or WHO, is Akira?

My Thoughts:
I read this sometime back in the early '00's soon after all 6 volumes were released by Dark Horse Comics in collected form. I was wicked impressed.

I was wicked impressed this time around as well. This blends punks, drugs, military, extra-sensory individuals and teen romance into one huge story. There was very little setup and we just jumped right in to the story. Kaneda and Tetsuo are shown as good friends, but thankfully there aren't endless flashbacks to their childhood or any such thing.

Otomo does a fantastic job of transforming Tetsuo from a slightly mild mannered punk into a vicious psychopath with unknown powers. You can also practically see Destiny with a Capital "D" surrounding his friend Kaneda as the one who will have to stop him.

This book is in a large format, which it has to be since most manga are around the 200- page mark and this is almost double that. One of the benefits is being able to peruse the pictures and SEE what is happening instead of just racing through the words. One thing I did find slightly disconcerting was that there were several instances where things seemed to have happened out of panel that we aren't privy to and the characters are reacting to that. Have to pay attention.

The artwork is what we have come to expect from a Post-Apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo. Highways leading to nowhere, futuristic military "things", the down and out slumming on the corners, massive underground mechanical items that we simply don't know what they are.

This re-read has lived up, so far, to my memories. I am glad of that. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A reread for me from when I was younger, there isn't much I'll be able to add to the discussion on this book that hasn't already been said. Reading this as an adult now, tho, I can definitely appreciate the finer and more subtle points of the story. ( )
  tapestry100 | May 13, 2016 |

Katsuhiro Ōtomoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oliff, SteveColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A close encounter /
young punk in over his head /
Yamagata dies.
(leahdawn)

This science fiction tale, set in 2019 in Tokyo after the city was destroyed by World War III, follows the lives of two teenage friends, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who have a consuming fear of a monstrous power known as Akira.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,105,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible