The Halloween Tree (1972)

by Ray Bradbury

A group of children and a "spirit" go back through time to discover the beginnings of Halloween.

English (83)  Spanish (2)  All languages (85)
I really enjoyed the way the story was written, but I realized about 15 minutes in that I just was not going to care about the story itself. ( )
  HCSimmons | Mar 11, 2023 |
Not the best book I've read but fun and easy. It was extremely predictable but as a kids book I can hardly fault it for that.

Overall worth the read and made me all the more excited to read Bradbury's other works. ( )
  boredwillow | Mar 4, 2023 |
Summer 2018, audiobook:

This was a gorgeous telling of a story of several of cultural histories behind Halloween, the costumes worn by children, and the wonderful lost art of the option between "trick or treat." While this did not cover all the traditions which have been a part of this grand melting pot holiday, reaching back through time, and spanning its arm wide across the globe, I did love this one.

It drags in some places, but I love how in-depth the telling gets, and I love who our narrator is, and I love the story of the boy-not-present that parallel's this journey all of the other boys are on, along with the choice(s) they will have to make at the end of this long dark waltz with death. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |
If you were a scout leader and you had a several day camping trip with a group of, say, 10-12 year old boys, you might read this book aloud to them in dramatic fashion. This might work better if you were doing this in the 1950's-70's, because more modern kids are probably the type to either not connect with the characters well enough to insert themselves in the story, or would find this schlocky because of the sophisticated nature of most of the entertainment currently peddled to them. It might be a good experiment, though.
The narration is dramatic, and dynamic (maybe with some updating and good special effects it could be a Hulu Original Content Holiday Special [I wonder who owns the rights, hm). The ostensible purpose of the book is to educate these young boys about the "history of Halloween" , though the factualness of the information imparted is disputable, and they're using harvest festival/start of winter celebration as a substitute in several cases.
It was a fun read around fall time for me and it's nice to revisit the old masters. I enjoyed it. ( )
  EmScape | Nov 29, 2022 |
I like Bradbury and there is a reason he is a master, but I think what he was trying with this story fell flat. ( )
1 vote bookwyrmm | Oct 27, 2022 |

Mancioli, AnnalisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soenksen, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love for MADAME MAN'HA GARREAU-DOMBASLE met twenty-seven years ago in the graveyard at midnight on the Island of Janitzio at Lake Patzcuaro, Mexico, and remembered on each anniversary of the Day of the Dead.
It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state.
Night came out from under each tree and spread. [3]
The tall man shut up his smile like a bright pocketknife. [21]
"The Undiscovered Country. Out there. Look long, look deep, make a feast. The Past, boys, the Past. Oh, it's dark, yes, and full of nightmare. Everything that Halloween ever was lies buried there. Will you dig for bones, boys? Do you have the stuff?" [32]
But in that instant of darkness, the night swept in. A great wing folded over the abyss. Many owls hooted. Many mice scampered and slithered in the shadows. A million tiny murders happened somewhere.

The clouds, like gauzy scenes, were pulled away to set a clean sky. The moon was there, a great eye. [38]
The scythe fell and lay in the grass like a lost smile. [45]
This is the entry for the book, please do not combine with the film adaptation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,682,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible