You Learn By Living: Eleven Keys for a More…

You Learn By Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life (original 1960; edition 2011)

by Eleanor Roosevelt (Author)

Former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt offers advice on how people can create a satisfying life under any circumstances.
Member:jsfecmd
Title:You Learn By Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
Authors:Eleanor Roosevelt (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2011), Edition: Anniversary, 228 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:Kindle, Memoir

You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life by Eleanor Roosevelt (1960)

A nonfiction piece by the former First Lady. I love the point she makes about learning through every thing you do, but much of what she says feels dated and elitist. She talks about how to train your servants and things like that, which obviously is not applicable to most people. Good to read, but take it with a grain of salt. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 18, 2020 |
I didn't enjoy this as much as I expected to, as I do somewhat consider myself an Eleanor Roosevelt fan. The book occupies some sort of space between a collection of personal essays and a self-help/self-improving book, and that in-betweenery didn't really work for me. Also, while I can certainly deploy my brain in one of its many intended uses and filter out what is good and useful here from what no longer feels relevant and/or now smacks of hurtfulness (teach children to cry to themselves in the bath so as not to bother others with their personal upsets?!), there was just a little too much I had to filter out for this to be a fully enjoyable read. Still, some good stuff here. Worth the read, if not as great a read as I'd hoped. ( )
  lycomayflower | Sep 30, 2018 |
What an absolute gem of a book. Eleanor Roosevelt giving tips on how to best live life, using many examples from her own life and experiences. I loved all parts of it and certainly recommend this as an historical piece, but also as a book with legitimate tips and thoughts on how to live a good life that apply both in the past and today. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Short but interesting. She sounds like someone I would have liked to know. And some of her comments are surprisingly apt for the 2nd decade of the 21st century. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 11, 2017 |
The former First Lady and social activist gives worthwhile practical advice for everyone. Several of her core principles remain current in the philosophy of mindfulness, which she apparently adopted through experience. Her compassion for ordinary people and social justice shines here throughout. We now live in an age when principled leaders like her have been replaced by hardened economic materialists and even corporate criminals, making her vision even more important than ever. ( )
  bkinetic | Feb 14, 2017 |
"To my grandchildren and great-grandchildren in the hope that sometime they may find a little help in these pages."
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.

from the cover: In this wise and highly personal book, one of the twentieth century's most famous and beloved first ladies - Eleanor Roosevelt - offer advice on how to create a satisfying life. Offering her own philosophy on living, the woman who was called First Lady to the World leads readers on a path to confidence, education, maturity, and more. You Learn By Living is a book that remains fascinating, inspirational, and relevant to late-twentieth century readers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,308,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible