The Onion Girl (Gollancz) by Charles De Lint

The Onion Girl (Gollancz) (original 2001; edition 2004)

by Charles De Lint

1,630404,443 (4.03)1 / 77
Member:wordebeast
Title:The Onion Girl (Gollancz)
Authors:Charles De Lint
Info:Gollancz (2004), Paperback, 508 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint (2001)

Dreams Underfoot: A Newford Collection by Charles de Lint (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Onion Girl is an awesome story, but I would suggest you read this collection of short stories before reading the novel, because there are tons of references to Dreams Underfoot that you won't understand if you go straight to Onion Girl
    Widdershins (Newford) by Charles de Lint (Kerian)

I adored this work of art! Yeah I said it, work of art!
Though it does need a trigger warning, there is child rape involved here. Its not gone into detail but it is just enough to upset someone who hasn't been forewarned.
Damn, this story was just simply fascinating, much attention was given to every single little detail.
You are drawn right into this world and you will find yourself caring deeply about the characters and their well being. There is a ton of drama, damn there really is a ton of tragedy.
I do have to mention I rolled my eyes when it came to the character names like: Jilly? Sophie? And they all seemed to have the common running theme with a little "damsel in distress" going on, until the "BIG BAD MEN" come around to save the day... HA, please spare me. But I am not your ordinary girly girl, LOL. I love women characters when they are FIERCE and unbreakable with barely any softness under their hard shells. I want them to come in and kick asses all over the place. Then maybe I can identify with them better. Well, Save that analysis for a psychiatrist's couch. I still enjoyed the book, soft feminine women included. I wont knock any stars off for my personal taste preferences, it was a solid 5 GOLDEN stars.
I really REALLY enjoyed the surrealistic "dream world" and occasionally find myself fantasizing about visiting there myself... I have my own surrealistic dreaming world but mine is filled with nightmares.
Dear kind sir Lint, I will be reading more of your stories. Thank you for sharing your beautiful world with all of us. I know just the right sort of person to recommend this to. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
One of the urban fantasy master's very best. Made me want to cheer! ( )
  KerryAlanDenney | May 18, 2016 |
The problem with De Lint is he's just not nearly as imaginative as he thinks he is. His "flights of fancy" are flat and derivative at best. Even worse, in my mind; he can't write believable dialog, friendships, or young people. At all. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I found this entry in the Newford series a bit hard to take at times as it dealt with adult survivors of childhood abuse. At the heart of the novel is the difficulty abuse victims have in coming to terms with what happened to them, regardless of how well they might appear to be doing from the outside. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 9, 2015 |
I stumbled onto this book by accident and read it before I started the rest of the Newford series. I recommend reading these books in order so that you know what's going on, as The Onion Girl makes many references to previous works in the Newford series. That being said, the book is so well-written that it didn't bother me that I didn't always get the references. It is beautiful, a sort of novelized daydream experience, the likes of which are hard to find. Also, as a twenty-something who grew up on fantasy, I loved the idea of adults still having a fantasy world to look forward to, as the Newford series is all-inclusive and makes being a grownup feel just as magical as being a kid. ( )
  WritingHaiku | Jul 28, 2015 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dringenberg, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They (fairy tales) make rivers run with wine only to make us remember, for one wild moment, that they run with water.
--G.K. Chesterton, from Orthodoxy
It was you, it was you, who said that dreams come true
And it was you, it was you, who said that mine would, too
And it was you who said that all I had to do was to believe
But when your ivory towers tumbled down, they tumbled down on me
--Fred Eaglesmith, from "It Was You"
It's the family you choose that counts.
--Andrew Vachss
for all of those who against all odds made the right choice
Once upon a time...

In novel after novel, and story after story, Charles de Lint has brought an entire imaginary North American city to vivid life. Newford: where magic lights dark streets; where myths walk clothed in modern shapes; where a broad cast of extraordinary and affecting people work to keep the whole world turning.

At the center of all the entwined lives in Newford stands a young artist named Jilly Coppercorn, with her tangled hair, her paint-splattered jeans, a smile perpetually on her lips--Jilly, whose paintings capture the hidden beings that dwell in the city's shadows. Now, at last, de Lint tells Jilly's own story...for behind the painter's fey charm lies a dark secret and a past she's labored to forget. And that past is coming to claim her now.

"I'm the onion girl," Jilly Coppercorn says. "Pull back the layers of my life, and you won't find anything at the core. Just a broken child. A hollow girl." She's very, very good at running. But life has just forced Jilly to stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:21 -0400)

"Charles de Lint has brought an entire imaginary North American city to vivid life, Newford: where magic lights dark streets; where myths walk clothed in modern shapes; where humans and older beings must work to keep the whole world turning." "He has peopled this city with extraordinary characters - people like Joseph Crazy Dog, also known as Bones, the trickster who walks in two worlds at once; Sophie, born with magic in the blood, whose boyfriend dwells in the otherworld of dreams; Angel, who runs a center for street people and lives up to her name; Geordie, creating enchantment with his fiddle; Christy, collecting stories in the streets; the Crow Girls, wild and elusive; and many, many more." "At the center of these entwined lives stands a young artist named Jilly Coppercorn, whose paintings capture the hidden beings that dwell in Newford's shadows. Jilly has been a central part of the street scene since de Lint's very first stories. With her tangled hair, her paint-splattered jeans, a smile perpetually on her lips, she's darted in and out of the Newford tales. Now, at last, we have Jilly's own story, and it's a powerful one indeed...for behind the painter's fey charm there's a dark secret, and a past she's labored to forget. And that past is coming to claim her now, threatening all she loves." ""I'm the onion girl, " Jilly Coppercorn says. "Pull back the layers of my life, and you won't find anything at the core. Just a broken child. A hollow girl." She's run from the past and the truth for so long. She's very good at running. But life has just forced Jilly to stop."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,507,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible