Riders, The by Tim Winton

Authors:Tim Winton
Info:Picador Australia
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

The Riders by Tim Winton (1994)

I love the way Winton describes the struggles of people with such realism and honesty and the way he places them in landscapes and settings which match or enhance that honesty. This book did not let me down in this regard. I was however disappointed with the ending. Where is the redemption and hope? It was too bleak and pointless. ( )
  toby.neal | Apr 21, 2017 |
Parts of this book I greatly enjoyed and parts I found disturbing. Some parts were very well written and others I felt he must not have put as much effort into. I never came to a point where I didn't like the book though. I truly wish the entire book was as good as part 1. Overall it was just OK. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I didn't finish the book because I found the main character's actions so unrealistic. His wife disappears on a flight with his 7 year old daughter and he doesn't alert the police. His daughter is traumatized and can't speak but he doesn't get her medical care. He then takes his daughter with him to Greece hoping his wife may have gone there. There might be people who would respond like that but I can't buy it. I ended up reading about half of the book. ( )
  tgamble54 | Sep 13, 2015 |
This was a reread for me, but after a 15 year gap at least. I loved this book the first time and I still love it.
The character portrayals of Scully and Billie are so insightful that the reader feels a real connection to them. Their fear and grief are tangible and the author takes us on a hair-raising journey across Europe.
This book is a real page turner and ends on a note of hope. That's what I like. ( )
  HelenBaker | Mar 29, 2015 |
This is one of those books that when I was done, I just thought, Wow! I'll be thinking about this one for a very long time. A lot of complexity here with his daughter, the international journey to look for his wife, and his own demons. I really enjoyed this one and recommend it! ( )
1 vote Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |

Has as a student's study guide

for Denise
With the north wind hard at his back, Scully stood in the doorway and sniffed.

After traveling through Europe for two years, Scully and his wife Jennifer wind up in Ireland, and on a mystical whim of Jennifer's, buy an old farmhouse which stands in the shadow of a castle. While Scully spends weeks alone renovating the old house, Jennifer returns to Australia to liquidate their assets. When Scully arrives at Shannon Airport to pick up Jennifer and their seven-year-old daughter, Billie, it is Billie who emerges -- alone. There is no note, no explanation, not so much as a word from Jennifer, and the shock has left Billie speechless. In that instant, Scully's life falls to pieces.

The Riders is a superbly written and a darkly haunting story of a lovesick man in a vain search for a vanished woman. It is a powerfully accurate account of marriage today, of the demons that trouble relationships, of resurrection found in the will to keep going, in the refusal to hold on, to stand still. The Riders is also a moving story about the relationship between a loving man and his tough, bright daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:48 -0400)

Fred Scully searches for his pregnant wife, who disappears without an explanation, leaving him with Billy, his seven-year-old daughter.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible