Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie…

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? (original 1994; edition 2010)

by Lorrie Moore (Author)

"Touches and dazzles and entertains. An enchanting novel." --The New York Times In this moving, poignant novel by the bestselling author of Birds of America we share a grown woman's bittersweet nostalgia for the wildness of her youth.   The summer Berie was fifteen, she and her best friend Sils had jobs at Storyland in upstate New York where Berie sold tickets to see the beautiful Sils portray Cinderella in a strapless evening gown. They spent their breaks smoking, joking, and gossiping. After work they followed their own reckless rules, teasing the fun out of small town life, sleeping in the family station wagon, and drinking borrowed liquor from old mayonnaise jars. But no matter how wild, they always managed to escape any real danger--until the adoring Berie sees that Sils really does need her help--and then everything changes.… (more)
Member:anicegreenleaf
Title:Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?
Authors:Lorrie Moore (Author)
Info:Faber & Faber (2010), Edition: Main, 160 pages

Work Information

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie Moore (1994)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
Well written, just not quite my style. ( )
  bness2 | Aug 20, 2021 |
This book was really good. It was about two friends in 1972. They're 15, working at an amusement park and have to deal with an unwanted pregnancy. The writing is just superb. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
If it isn't already, this should be required high-school reading (second semester freshmen year). ( )
  stravinsky | Dec 28, 2020 |
Slightly off-kilter tale that alternates between present day in France sight-seeing and memories of adolescence in small town Horsehearts on the American side of the Canadian border in the late 60s-early 70s. The narrator, Benoite-Marie is an intelligent, but unsettled woman with laser wit and thoughtful reflection. Most of that is turned toward her best friend from her teen years, Silsby Chausee. They were unequally matched then -- Sils was beautiful, developed, comfortable in her growing body and Berie was the lanky flat-chested sidekick, the consolation date. Still the two had a bond of like-mindedness and daring, sneaking out, going to bars with fake ids, smoking & drinking, looking for adventure and a way out of their small town and small lives, but also just seeking normalcy. They both worked at StoryLand, a local amusement park -- Sils was Cinderella, while Berie was simply a cashier -- indicative of their status. When Sils gets an older boyfriend, dynamics change, though Berie remains devoted and risks a lot to remain friends. All this is remembered wistfully from middle-age in a challenged, childless marriage. The writing is beautiful, if the plot is a little bizarre -- there seems like a lot to be mined with discussion including family dynamics, family of origin, and womanhood. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Exquisite. ( )
  AshLaz | Jan 24, 2020 |
How public -- Like a Frog --
To tell one's name -- the livelong June --
To an admiring Bog!
Emily Dickinson

I am thankful that this pond was made deep and pure for a symbol.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Well run, Thisby.
William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
for MFB
In Paris we eat brains every night.
Joni Mitchell was keening Little Green on Sils's record player. Sils listened to that song all the time now, like some woeful soundtrack. The soprano slides and oos of the song always made us both sing along, when I was there. “Little green, be a gypsy dancer.” Twenty years later at a cocktail party, I would watch an entire roomful of women, one by one and in bunches, begin to sing this song when it came on over the sound system. They quit conversations, touched people's arms, turned toward the corner stereo and sang in a show of memory and surprise. All the women knew the words, every last one of them, and it shocked the men.
I wondered whether I would ever be in love with a boy. Would I? Why not? Why not? Right then and there I vowed and dared and bet that sky and the trees -- I swore on Estherina Foster's frave -- that I would. But it wouldn't be a boy like Mike. Nobody like that. It would be a boy very far away – and I would go there someday and find him. He would just be there. And I would love him. And he would love me. And we would simply be there together, loving like that, in that place, wherever it was. I had a whole life ahead.
I can’t give my heart away to anyone but you,” Daniel said to me in the hospital.  “Not that I haven’t tried, of course. It’s just that when I do, the other organs start a letter-writing campaign.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,276,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible