Becoming the Parent You Want To Be: A Sourcebook of Strategies for the… (1997)

by Laura Davis, Janis Keyser (Editor)

Informative, inspiring, and enlightening, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be provides parents with the building blocks they need to discover their own parenting philosophy and develop effective parenting strategies.  Through in-depth information, practical suggestions, and many lively first-person stories, the authors address the many dilemmas and joys that the parent of young children encounter and demonstrate a range of solutions to the major issues that arise in the raising of babies, toddlers and preschoolers.  Full of warmth, clarity, humor, and respect, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be gives parents permission to be human: to question, to learn, to make mistakes, to struggle and to grow, and, most of all, to have fun with their children.… (more)

Skimmed only. I'll probably come back to it when I need help with various situations. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
I liked that this book outlines a more compassionate parenting approach based on listening and communication rather than discipline but am skeptical about how well it will work in practice. Many of the examples seem to illustrate child behavior that I wouldn't expect. For example, active listening "You really want that truck that I'm not letting you buy" would seem to illicit more anger from the child in many cases but perhaps children are different enough from adults that my intuition is wrong.
I found the numerous examples from parents with diverse backgrounds very helpful as well as the wide range of topics covered and the highlighting which makes quick reading easier for this busy parent. As my children get old enough to use more of this advice I will be able to better evaluate it's value and practicality.

I checked this book out initially from the library but just ordered a used copy through amazon for reference purposes. ( )
  bzbooks | Jan 4, 2017 |
This is a gentle parenting guide (both a parenting guide that is gentle and a guide to gentle parenting) which works very hard at accepting lots of different families and lots of different approaches. This is not a book that will tell you how to potty-train in 1 day, for instance; it's a book that will tell you what potty training looks like, what makes it easier, what makes it harder, and give some ways different families have done it. It's reassuring and has a lot of good ideas. ( )
  ezwicky | Jun 6, 2007 |

Laura Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keyser, JanisEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my sons, Bryan Rawles and Eli Bristol Davis, for walking me down this road -- Laura Davis
To my children, Lee John, Calvin Lee, and Maya Nell, for keeping me honest -- Janis Keyser

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,340,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible