Epigrams by Martial

Epigrams (1973)

by Martial

Martial is the author you are supposed to pick up when you want to deflate someone's notion of what a 'classic' is.
This books does everything in its power to hide who Martial really was; all the truly vulgar poems have been expunged from the collection. Probably best to wait for a collection that is not concerned about offending people's sensibilities. ( )
  M.Campanella | Feb 19, 2015 |
In which I realize that my boredom with and occasional distaste for the classics is due to my own silly post-romantic desire for The Great Work rather than for the good one. Martial is hilarious, the translation adds in rhyme to give us some flavor and make the sting in the tail a little more obvious. Even better, it's dual-language. The later books are a little dull, and almost ruined by genuine, heartfelt sentiment and mourning, as well as, I feel, a general weakening of Martial's sneer. Is this Great Literature? No, thank god. Is it better than trawling through endless pages of bowel-churning love poetry? Substantially. Avoid, however, if you're distressed by performed bigotry. ( )
1 vote stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Edition: // Descr: xx, 491 p. 17 cm. // Series: The Loeb Classical Library Call No. { 877 M36-L vol I. } Series Edited by E.H. Warmington With an English Translation by Walter C.A. Ker Contains Latin and English Versions and Bibliography Volume I. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Edition: // Descr: v, 568 p. 17 cm. // Series: The Loeb Classical Library Call No. { 877 M36-L vol II. } Series Edited by T.E. Page With an English Translation by Walter C.A. Ker Contains Latin and English Versions, Index of Proper Names, and Index of First Lines Volume II. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Fantastically bawdy, witty and sharp, I read this in a day. This is a bit misleading, because the Penguin edition is a bit of a best of, rather than every epigram Martial wrote. Still, these give a fascinating insight into the Roman world. I much prefer the underbelly-type works, like this and Juvenal, to the epics of poets like Virgil. ( )
1 vote notmyrealname | Nov 18, 2008 |

Martialprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ceronetti, GuidoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cobos Fajardo, AntoniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howell, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindsay, W. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michie, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnur, Harry C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Martial, like many of the Latin poets, was born in Bibilis, Spain, probably around 38-41 AD. He appears to have lived in Rome for nearly thirty-four years, under the patronage of the great Spaniard Senaca, the Younger. He belonged to a class of intellectuals who were in resolute opposition to the emperor Domitian, so many times figures like Cicero, Brutus, and Pompey are used as literary devices against the crazed tyrant. Martial's poems are definitely modelled off of Catullus' epigrams and elegiac verses, although they are different in meaning and theme. These poems are hilarious and audacious, cruel, lewd, charming, spiteful, and creative; and they bring to life the social and political milieu of Rome.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,150,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible