A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire:…

A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (original 2000; edition 2002)

by George R. R. Martin (Author)

Member:bookwormteri
Title:A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
Authors:George R. R. Martin (Author)
Info:Bantam (2002), 1008 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, third in series, game of thrones, 2018

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (sturlington)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (348)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (359)
Characters wandering about the landscape, sometimes in circles. Plotlines unresolved while new characters are created and new plotlines set off. In one of them (can't remember which one now) it ends with a strange postscript explaining that the reason that so many previously important characters did not figure is because he could not find space for them in this vast tome, er, sorry about that. I have never seen anything like that in a book series. So why keep creating unnecessary new characters? It looks to me like the series had at one point a cataclysmic ending in view - Ice and Fire, the White Walkers coming down from the North and the dragons coming from the East, no doubt to meet in some Westeros Ragnarok. The trouble is that that doesn't fit well with the idea of a Wars of the Roses type feuding families and shifting alliances and that he got more interested in that. The walkers keep on walking, the dragons flying round in circles. And now the main characters (who are not in dungeons) are wandering aimlessly about the place and have been for at least the last two huge and bloated novels.If we were at the third of a 400 page novel then it might be reasonable to hold out hope that he was a master craftsman with a master plan who was carefully setting up the characters for the big finale. Unfortunately, that hope is long, long, since gone. What we have is the sad sight of an author who has got completely stuck and instead of completing the storylines he has spun, either goes to conventions to bask in the approbation of his fans, or creates new characters and storylines with no baggage to worry about, which makes it ever harder for him to pull them back together. To me the real question is how anyone could have read the last two books and not realise that something had gone horribly wrong.

(Bought in 2003)

An author DOES owe you a coherent narrative and a decent ending; otherwise he might as well have just written down his dreams every night for umpteen years and then slung that at you. Surely you got invested in these books because you thought they were going somewhere? You can hardly blame people for worrying that they might not be at this point. If you've forked out money for the book series so far (which collectively has made Martin a rich man) then you're entitled to feel you paid that money on false premises if no ending is forthcoming. I think this is something that's driven the habit of buying boxsets of a show after it's finished airing. People are less and less willing to get invested in something if it's just going to malinger on and then die on its arse. ( )
  antao | Sep 7, 2018 |
A Storm of Swords is book number three in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Turned into a TV series I think the novels have gotten more - or at least renewed - attention lately. This is also why I turned to this series of novels that I had not known about before. As every novel in the series builds up on what happened before it does not make sense to start with A Storm of Swords. You will have to start at the beginning or not at all and this means going through a serious amount of pages, I am afraid.

With more than a thousand pages for just this novel you can already see that Martin was thinking big when conceiving the seven kingdoms of Westeros. I was a little taken aback by the page count, but after reading it I have to say that I found it quite okay. There are a few passages I personally would not have needed, but considering the world that the author creates and the many characters and details he fills it with, even a thousand pages seem to go by relatively fast. There are several main plot lines to follow and as a reader you know that they will necessarily have to converge at some point when it comes to the ultimate fight between all the contenders for the iron throne. I do not feel the need to go into plot details here as having read the first two novels in the series is a prerequisite for understanding this one. So if you have read them you will know where the story is going to continue and if you have not you will not be able to make much sense of the plot of A Storm of Swords anyway.

One thing that only occurred to me when I read this novel was the sheer scope of what Martin has created. Every detail is thought through and he has to be able to manage many plot lines at the same time. I admit that I could have had this thought after reading the first novel, but it really struck me when I went to the 51-page appendix to A Storm of Swords which simply lists the main characters and briefly gives some notes on their relations. While the A Song of Ice and Fire series might be considered pop fiction and while it might definitely not be everyone's cup of tea you will have to admire the world George R. R. Martin has created and the amount of work and imagination behind it. I mean, many authors do that, yes. Yet few come to mind who give their work so much detail. In terms of detail I think A Song of Ice and Fire as a series is comparable to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or King's The Dark Tower. I will definitely continue reading the remaining novels in the series because this world has gripped me and I have come to like some of the characters very much that I cannot not read the rest. 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Aug 13, 2018 |
Ripping good read. ( )
  RobertP | Jul 28, 2018 |

This is probably the best series of books ever written. Literature at it's finest. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
[b: A Storm of Swords|62291|A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1497931121s/62291.jpg|1164465] continues the A Song of Ice and Fire series with an even quicker paced book than [b: A Clash of Kings|10572|A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358254974s/10572.jpg|3272005]. The pace is relentless and the deaths many, creating an even more uncertain future for all the people in Westeros.

The books thus far continue to be similar to the show, but they are well worth a read for the deeper lore held within them. The scenes at the Wall and beyond it were far less tedious than they had been in previous books, and the battles were extremely well-written. The political intrigue and the enhanced focus upon Stannis also served the book well, and the Arya plot continued to be far better than how the show depicted it all. Also, this book had the added joy of Jaime centric chapters which proved to be both interesting and well-written.

All in all a good continuation of the series. And now I'm off to [b: A Feast For Crows|13497|A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1429538615s/13497.jpg|1019062]... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,948,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible