A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by George R.R. Martin

Here is the third volume in Martin's cycle of novels that includes A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. Magic, mystery, intrigue, romance, and adventure fill these pages. The Seven Kingdoms are torn by strife as the three surviving contenders for the throne continue their struggle for power, Robb Stark defends his fledgling kingdom from the ravaging Greyjoys, Winterfell lies in ruins, Jon Snow confronts an escalating threat from behind the Wall, and Danerys Stormborn and her dragon allies continue to grow in power. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords.… (more)
Member:Jisi
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Spectra (2003), Paperback
Rating:***1/2

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (358)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (369)
Mind = blown

Although one thing struck me as annoying and confusing. New speaker, new paragraph. Okay okay ( )
  otaginenbutsuji | Nov 12, 2019 |
Wow. All I can say after reading this is, Martin really ramps up the tension, action, characterization, plot complications...brilliantly done. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
“It all goes back and back," Tyrion thought, "to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads.”

Finally, I got around to finishing this book. I have been reading this book for over a year, according to GoodReads, but I read the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen plus a bunch of other books in between, since I lost motivation at some point.

Well, now I'm back in the world of George R. R. Martin, and I have enjoyed my stay so far. I am harboring some healthy grudges and at least one outright hatred against some characters, I have laughed, I have cried (a bit), and I have been surprised again and again by the plot turns. Mostly because people tend to do completely nonsensical stuff which is only explained later.

It is also refreshing to have a cast of characters that you can actually remember (as opposed to the hundreds of relevant characters from Malazan), and there is some healthy character development going on. Some of my most hated characters from the previous books now number among my favourites, which is not a safe place, as Martin tends to cull their ranks frequently and violently.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, absolutely. Is it a five star book? No. Why? I don't know. A few months ago, I coined the Term "Malazan Syndrome" for this feeling. It describes the moment when you have liked a book, can find no obvious faults in it, but still don't want to give it five stars. It is a good book, but it is not "up there" with my other five star books. So, yeah, 4 1/2 Stars, I guess. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
This is definitely turning out to be a 5-star series in general for me, but I thought that this book was probably the most emotionally engaging so far. This is probably because some of the main things that happened really took me by surprise, and I tend not to react much emotionally when I can see an event coming. It was a great continuation of the story, and it ends on an exciting note that draws you right into the next installment. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
I want my happy endings, there are so many stories and levels and possible happy endings if only these unyielding stubborn people would bend a little. There is no over arching love couple but there are couples and explicit sexual content
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,623,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible