Contact (1985)

by Carl Sagan

8,405125854 (3.98)1 / 218
In December, 1999, a multinational team journeys out to the stars, to the most awesome encounter in human history. Who -- or what -- is out there? In "Cosmos," Carl Sagan explained the universe. In "Contact," he predicts its future -- and our own.
    The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science
    Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: First contact
    2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    Born into Light by Paul Samuel Jacobs (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Well-drawn, thoughtful humanistic sci-fi (though both occasionally drop the ball slightly when it comes to BIPOC folks).
    Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang (beyondthefourthwall)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.
    The Listeners by James E. Gunn (Valashain)
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)

English (116)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (121)
Highly enjoyable book, which was obviously written with the intention of bringing astro physics into the popular realm. It for sure achieved this. The main character was a bit bland, but great story, and reading about some in depth science jargon without feeling overwhelmed was great. Touching at points. ( )
  Alin.Llewellyn | Nov 1, 2022 |
What a book. For someone with a vast intellect as Sagan to be able to write a book that is so approachable by all is a feat unto itself. He writes with a wonder that was visible during the "Cosmos" series he hosted. He shows that you don't need to believe in the supernatural to have a wonder about the universe.

Recommended for any and all readers, no matter the genre preference. ( )
  macleod73 | Sep 14, 2022 |
Carl Sagan explores a variety of ideas, encapsulating the big topics of religion and the origin of the universe effortlessly and eloquently. His amiable tone and amazing breadth of written language combine to make an exciting and interesting read. Sagan digresses a lot, but it's worth sticking with to understand the finer points he is making. It may be fiction, but you'll learn a lot from this book. ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
The plot was okay, I guess, but the character development needed a lot of work. The character of Ellie was completley unidentifiable as human. I think that Carl Sagan designed her with creating a female character in mind, because she seems to be a composite of female stereotypes without substance.

She's a complete cipher, and it completely ruined the book for me. ( )
  mvolz | Jul 10, 2022 |
Enjoyed the book even more than the movie. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
It's bug-eyed monster time again. This time the alien devils are discovered not by Captain Rick Thrust of the US Starship Trousersnake but by mega-boring scientists and lots of hard-work.
added by andersocheva | editNew Musical Express, Steven Wells (May 16, 1987)

Sagan, Carlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Your religion assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they'll behave. You want people to believe in God so they'll obey the law. That's the only means that occurs to you: a strict secular police force, and the threat of punishment by an all-seeing God for whatever the police overlook. You sell human beings short.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,425,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible